My scary wakeup call

I grew up with candles, Mom always had them in the house as far back as I can remember.  I gave her some of the candles we made and thought nothing of it. Was over visiting and she lit one up. Flame was about 3" tall because she had never trimmed the wick. It was an Htp wick and it was so long it was curling back down inside the wax. I guess a lot of the old timers don't know to trim their wicks which just scared the hell out of me. Merry Christmas everyone!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

• Like 3

This is one of those lessons that make us better chandlers. 

as much as chandlers try to “educate”, people are people and will 99 times out of 100 not trim a wick.  They’re supposed to be able to safely light and walk away. I know we will hear of anecdotes that so and so’s customers always trim. No. No they don’t. Heck, My husband, who has helped sell thousands of candles retail, the guy who reminds everyone to trim the wick never does. Not once. Light and forget. A nearly burned down house taught me to always wick as if someone were going to light and totally forget they did.

happy all turned out well.

merry Christmas to you and all of your loved ones. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1