So, where are you getting your lye these days?

Janis

Now that red devil is out of the pure lye business, where are you getting your lye? I'd love to find a west coast supplier.

Where are you on the west coast? I am too. If you are in CA I tell you a few places to get lye for great prices. I paid $37 for 50lb from a chemical company called Gallade. You can't beat .05 an ounce. It seems to smell less than Red Devil too after it is mixed. I'm glad I found the new stuff.

I'm thinking about driving an hour to Starville in Tyler TX for 50lbs of lye... it's about $1.55 a pound with no shipping or hazmat charges if I do it... I bet I could find it cheaper though... I just might have to drive a bit further.

Taylored Concepts in Dallas carries it, if you buy it by the 50# box for $39.50, it is only 79 cents a pound. It has to be picked up though, they won't ship it. You know you could always come visit us locals for lunch one day, and pick it up. :D

Ooh, sounds like a nice drive! There is a great Cheesecake Factory restaurant over by North Park Mall... we could all meet and have lunch over there. I remember their Long Island Tea's are wonderful. That's a really good price on the lye. Cheapest I've seen so far this close.

If you couldn't make it out before they close and I know you are coming, I could always pick it up for you, I don't need anything right now, but the 100 and something new FO's they just added yesterday are calling my name, LOL! You'd want to come though when they are open, they have a pretty nice little showroom. :) Maybe Sherie could come to, depending on her schedule.

I find Boyer's pricing very good. I buy 40 lbs at a time, it comes in 10 lb bags in cardboard, very easy to handle, and their pricing is good IMO, you have to call them, send them a check and then they send you the lye, they are very nice.

Where are you on the west coast? I am too. If you are in CA I tell you a few places to get lye for great prices. I paid $37 for 50lb from a chemical company called Gallade. You can't beat .05 an ounce. It seems to smell less than Red Devil too after it is mixed. I'm glad I found the new stuff.

I'm in Portland, OR. I saw on another thread that Robin has a supplier in Fresno. Can't remember the name right now, but I might check that one out, too.

I find Boyer's pricing very good. I buy 40 lbs at a time, it comes in 10 lb bags in cardboard, very easy to handle, and their pricing is good IMO, you have to call them, send them a check and then they send you the lye, they are very nice.

Thanks, Cindy. I'll check them out, too. It's amazing to me how the price varies from supplier to supplier. I wish I could find a local place that I could just pick up from.

I saw this on another site. According to the site, it's sold at most hardware stores and some Walmarts carry it. Would this work?

Roebic Crystal Drain Cleaner

Check out http://www.roebic.com/catalog/clog.htm

They have a drain cleaner with the following description:

Heavy Duty Crystal Drain Opener:

Heavy Duty Crystal Drain Opener contains 100% Sodium Hydroxide (caustic soda) and clears tough clogs from pipes and drains. Heavy Duty Crystal Drain Opener destroys grease and other kitchen clogs and will keep drains clear.

I saw this on another site. According to the site, it's sold at most hardware stores and some Walmarts carry it. Would this work?

Roebic Crystal Drain Cleaner

Check out http://www.roebic.com/catalog/clog.htm

They have a drain cleaner with the following description:

Heavy Duty Crystal Drain Opener:

Heavy Duty Crystal Drain Opener contains 100% Sodium Hydroxide (caustic soda) and clears tough clogs from pipes and drains. Heavy Duty Crystal Drain Opener destroys grease and other kitchen clogs and will keep drains clear.

It sounds like that's what Terri said she used (the 4th post down)- right? I read on another board that's what they use as well. Seems like its easier and cheaper to get at Lowes then ordering online. :)