4627 Vs 4630 wicking

Before I started using 4630 regularly I looked at using 4627, but the cost and availability was prohibitive. I’m out of 4630 and I saw that CS has 4627 at a reasonable price. I think I would like it, but I have the wicking for 4630 down. So, for anyone who has used both how would you compare the wicking.

I haven't used 4627 in a long time.  Things may have changed, and I probably wasn't as good at wicking then as I am now.  So take this with a grain of salt, but.....

I tried 4627 at the same time I was using 4630 exclusively.  If memory serves, the 4627 seemed to be more viscous and would sometimes need one size larger wick than 4630, depending on the normal factors, but the same wick types worked in both. I used HTP, zinc, LX...all of those at one time or another.

• Thanks 1

12 hours ago, bfroberts said:

I haven't used 4627 in a long time.  Things may have changed, and I probably wasn't as good at wicking then as I am now.  So take this with a grain of salt, but.....

I tried 4627 at the same time I was using 4630 exclusively.  If memory serves, the 4627 seemed to be more viscous and would sometimes need one size larger wick than 4630, depending on the normal factors, but the same wick types worked in both. I used HTP, zinc, LX...all of those at one time or another.

I have my wick list and my 8oz tin wicks for all the FOs that I use, moving up a size in paraffin would be quick and easy. 

• Like 1

On 11/20/2019 at 7:25 AM, Forrest said:

I have my wick list and my 8oz tin wicks for all the FOs that I use, moving up a size in paraffin would be quick and easy. 

If everything could be this easy in Candle making 😂

Never mind my double post. I'm still trying to figure out how to quote. Sometimes it works and sometimes it doesn't? Always user error 🤓

• Like 1

For me it's usually wick up a bit but I get more mushrooming with 4627, the HT after no curing is worth it though. I've still not found a 'perfect' wick for it with any of my FO's, but trimming LX's after every burn has been very consistent. I don't like HTP's with it, the 73 and 83 give me MP's as deep as a swimming pool.

• Thanks 1