Finally, a skull!

MrDan

It took me long enough to make one, but now it's here! My original design beeswax skull candle!

I'm currently burn testing it, but I'm going to hazard a guess of 4.5 - 5 hours.

It weighs in a just under 1.7 ounces.

I love how much burn time you can get from such a small amount of beeswax!

IMG_20190724_120419_331.jpg

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

👍 Neat, looks great and Halloween is around the corner already, can you believe it. I like beeswax candles and have bought several from my friend in Canada that has her own business, she makes lovely stuff. I like the smell of beeswax but I have only made a few beeswax blend container candles. I need to add molded beeswax candles on my To Do List.

• Like 1

18 hours ago, Laura C said:

I like the smell of beeswax but I have only made a few beeswax blend container candles. I need to add molded beeswax candles on my To Do List.

The first time I started playing around with beeswax I wasn't a fan. The smell of the melted wax in the pot was so overpowering to me. Needless to say, it's grown on me!

I've completely stopped working with molded paraffin (and I was never really fond of soy), and just focus on the beeswax now. Of course, it can get a little pricey, but what candle making hobby doesn't?

• Like 1

I'm coming up on 5 hours of burning so far, and it's still going strong!

I designed the candle to actually tunnel a bit so it gets that "glow" to the face of the skull, but I might just test out some larger wick sizes and see what happens.

20190725_125403.jpg

• Like 2

@Laura C

I've considered dying the beeswax before, but since the wax is natural I dont want to introduce any of those dyes used for soy or paraffin. They would mask the natural beeswax scent, especially since my candles are pretty small. 

Using "natural" dyes is a crap shoot. They are way more expensive, plus you have to compensate for the natural color of the wax. 

Too much work for too little return in my opinion.

• Like 1

39 minutes ago, MrDan said:

@Laura C

I've considered dying the beeswax before, but since the wax is natural I dont want to introduce any of those dyes used for soy or paraffin. They would mask the natural beeswax scent, especially since my candles are pretty small. 

Using "natural" dyes is a crap shoot. They are way more expensive, plus you have to compensate for the natural color of the wax. 

Too much work for too little return in my opinion.

Oh yes, I understand what you are saying. 👁️ was just thinking of fun, dramatic effects to play around with, LOL.

• 4 months later...