6006 hardly any cold throw

I am fairly new to using 6006 and I can hardly get a good cold throw. I heat the wax until about 180 to 185 then add 9 percent FO and dye then stir I pour about 170. I use 8 oz jelly jars with a CD 10 wick. I'm not sure what I'm doing wrong I just cant get a good cold throw. I can get a decent hot throw after I let it cure for a couple days 

1 hour ago, Roblop239 said:

I am fairly new to using 6006 and I can hardly get a good cold throw. I heat the wax until about 180 to 185 then add 9 percent FO and dye then stir I pour about 170. I use 8 oz jelly jars with a CD 10 wick. I'm not sure what I'm doing wrong I just cant get a good cold throw. I can get a decent hot throw after I let it cure for a couple days 

A few questions. Do the jars have lids? Did you stir the wax well after adding the FO? Have you asked other people to smell the candle?

Two observations. 9% seems like a high FO load and a CD 10 seems like a large wick for an 8oz jar. If your candle is burning properly then that’s great. But if you have soot issues, or your MP is too deep I would suggest trying 7% and/or a smaller wick.  

• Like 1

39 minutes ago, Roblop239 said:

Yes they have lids and I stir the wax for about 1 minute 

That is curious. I find it takes several days for my CT to get strong. Exposure to the fragrance makes it harder to smell so I always wait at least three days before I open the lid and check the CT. For 6006 I always stir the wax before adding the FO, while I'm adding the FO, then two minutes more, and stir again just before I pour. That may be a little excessive, but once I made a batch of candles that I only stirred for 30 seconds and they had no CT or HT.

• Like 1

6006 needs to cure longer than a day or two.  Give it a bit more time.  It's not the absolute best wax in the world for strong CT, but you should have a more than adequate CT in a lidded 6006 candle after a week or so unless the FO's you are using just aren't up to snuff.  You won't need 9% FO with 6006.  If it's not gonna throw at 6-7, it's not gonna throw at 9, and you'll just create wicking woes and seepage at that rate.

• Like 1

50 minutes ago, Roblop239 said:

how do I make the HT stronger in 6006? Like I said I use 8 oz jelly jars with a CD 10? I also use Aztec fragrance oils

Not sure about that wick.  Seems kinda big for a jj.  Which scents are you using?  

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Roblop239 said:

how do I make the HT stronger in 6006? Like I said I use 8 oz jelly jars with a CD 10? I also use Aztec fragrance oils

You won't like this answer, but two months cure time works wonders for your HT. 6006 may only be 30% soy, but in this respect it acts more like soy than paraffin.

• Like 1

It needs to cure. More than a couple days for both CT and HT.

Is your A/C on? That kills my throw.

I like Aztec FOs, but some are not big throwers. Spa type scents tend to be more subtle, while some of their bakery and florals are very much in your face. So it could be a variety of factors.

• Like 1