Wick testing help

Hello all 👋🏾 

I hope I am posting this in the right spot? Anyhoo..... I must say I love love love this group! It’s so much information, tips, and tricks. So, I have a question about testing wicks, mushrooming etc etc. I’m testing my first batch of candles, they been curing for 13 days ( soy wax....too anxious to wait that extra day lol). I used CD wicks, the recommendation size, a size up and down. I’m oh so new so idk what I’m actually looking for in the wick. To me all of them are mushrooming, so does this mean these wicks will not work with this fragrance?? Or vice versa. See attached photo. I’m learning and trying. Thanks 

E458412D-C3B4-40B0-9934-D61999873200.jpeg

A few questions ...

1) what brand and type of soy wax are you using? They all have differences and quirks.

2) what burn number are you on in those photos? First burn, fourth burn, etc.

3) how long have they been burning? 

4) what scent and amount of scent are in those? 

All of these variables guide the wick choices. 

3 minutes ago, TallTayl said:

A few questions ...

1) what brand and type of soy wax are you using? They all have differences and quirks.

2) what burn number are you on in those photos? First burn, fourth burn, etc.

3) how long have they been burning? 

4) what scent and amount of scent are in those? 

All of these variables guide the wick choices. 

2.second

3.about 2.5 hours

4. 6% of Grapefruit and Mangosteen

It’s seems like it’s more levels to candle making than I thought. 

26 minutes ago, Sheree00 said:

2.second

3.about 2.5 hours

4. 6% of Grapefruit and Mangosteen

It’s seems like it’s more levels to candle making than I thought. 

Ok, given that, I’m inclined to say all of those are a little on the big size. The flames from this angle appear kind of proportionally tall for the jars. 

As the candles progress, if the melt pool gets any deeper or you start to see soot puffs or start to see grey or black on the jar rim and walls you will know for sure that fragrance/container/wax combo is overwicked. 

Typically for soy I don’t wick for a full melt pool for the first couple of burns. Those end up too hot by the middle and dangerous by the end. But never say never. Let them keep burning and take good notes. 

If you find a combo that seems to work, do a powerburn and see how that changes things.