Ultra wax Coconut Soy - first impressions

TallTayl

Someone was kind enough to send me a bit of the new Ultra Wax coconut to play with. Made a quick 9oz jar with a scent I am super familiar with and a drop of color. Well, take a look. 

Poured wickless to start to save a bit of headache. I can stick a tabbed assembly in later. The top sank down, so I heat gunned smooth.  This is always the first test with a new wax: how well does it handle the heat gun? It’s inevitable a heat gun will be used at some point. Many waxes fail miserably here. 

This one is not super heat gun friendly. The frosting has already begun an hour after the pour.  

FA0CDFC7-CC3B-419B-AC76-3AF4C7FE8E67.jpeg

But that hat is not the exciting part. Look at the frost color and pattern:

DC262F69-9E67-4FEF-845E-BD44292F3108.jpeg

This looks identical to coconut 92 with 10% USA. Identical. It’s why I dumped USA in coconut waxes. 

I already know this will burn poorly.  That much USA requires a giant wick and even then hot throw is lousy at best. 

Even the big guys are having trouble formulating a good, stable coconut wax. It’s not super easy to accomplish. Soldier on folks. 

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

That's very interesting @TallTayl thanks for sharing your test. The last Ultra Coconut Wax I bought from General Wax was in 2018 and it made very soft almost mushy candles. I had to add stuff to it to harden it up. It looks like the Ultra Wax you tested is not as soft as the lot I had received last year.

Edited by Laura C

19 hours ago, Laura C said:

That's very interesting @TallTayl thanks for sharing your test. The last Ultra Coconut Wax I bought from General Wax was in 2018 and it made very soft almost mushy candles. I had to add stuff to it to harden it up. It looks like the Ultra Wax you tested is not as soft as the lot I had received last year.

This was actually not super soft. Used a knife tip to Cleve off a chunk to test. It was ivory to light beige in color. No distinct aroma out of the bag or in the melt pot, so that’s a point in its favor. 

i had no preconceived opinion, and actually hoped it would be something that would solve the current wax dilemma. With a name like Ultra it made me really hopeful. 

Will light it in a few days to finish the experiment. Maybe it will outperform my early expectations. Hoping it will. Visually someone could use an opaque container to bypass the color of the frost. 

• Thanks 1