Responsibly Sourced Palm Wax

Candlewic's palm I believe comes straight from Lipidchem, same as Bittercreek. I hear people saying on here that Candlewic blends their own palmwax, which I doubt to be true. When I ordered a 55lb bag it came stamped with Lipidchem's product number, seemed to be straight from Maylasia. It wasn't even repackaged.

All Lipidchem's waxes can't be guaranteed to be 100% Sustainably sourced, there COULD still be traces of unsustainable palm in the wax.

There is palm wax that is 100% sustainable but I haven't seen it in USA yet... Maybe the IGI palm wax, but I only see statements about RSPO there also ....The price would be 3 times higher, even though IGI is on the pricier side. I dug down to the importer of all Lipidchem waxes and we spoke on the phone about it and he told me about the pricing of 100% sustainable VS RSPO. It's obtainable but not reasonable from what I understand. But then, he's in the business to sell Lipidchem's waxes so...

Where did you read that Candlewic claims that it's responsibly sourced? If they claim this they should have a 100% guarantee of it and not just the RSPO statement.

Lipidchem is part of RSPO but that doesn't guarantee that it's 100% sustainable. For the most part, I think the wax is responsibly sourced, but it doesn't come with a 100% guarantee.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Great info about Lipidchem, thank you!

CW has a letter on their website stating that their vendor participates in the RSPO. That's all I know. 😬 So that was my poor wording, they're not claiming it's sustainable, just saying their supplier is part of RSPO.

1 hour ago, Sarah S said:

Great info about Lipidchem, thank you!

CW has a letter on their website stating that their vendor participates in the RSPO. That's all I know. 😬 So that was my poor wording, they're not claiming it's sustainable, just saying their supplier is part of RSPO.

I'm definitely not trying to be bossy, haha...  

It all comes down to how they word it... RSPO is one thing, 100 % sustainable is another... It makes it impossible to have any type of statement on your website about palm really... except RSPO

This is the closest to a statement I got from the main distributor, who then sells to Candlewic and Bittercreek etc...

"Allow me to introduce myself. I work directly with Lipidchem as their North American distributor for their palm waxes.

The waxes we market are from reputable plantation companies who are members of the Malaysian Palm Oil Association (MPOA).

MPOA, together with many other stakeholders, has pioneered the establishment of the Roundtable on Sustainable Palm Oil (RSPO). Besides plantation companies, foreign companies and Associations such as Unilever, Sainsbury’s (in United Kingdom), Migros (in Switzerland) and the World Wildlife Fund (WWF) are also active participants in RSPO. These members have pledged to support all activities to promote and implement sustainable palm oil production.

Our Companies have recognized that the Roundtable process is a secure and neutral environment in which to build trust, share ideas and develop understanding about the practicalities in the palm oil supply chain involving producers, traders, processors, consumer goods manufacturers, retailers, investors and NGOs.

Our Companies through all the Members of MPOA, takes pride in being part of this RSPO process."

I have tried to read articles and other info... But most things posted are old "facts" and "myths" from 2014 and earlier. The soy industry won the war previously and many "bloggers" and "rights activists" are using outdated information to confirm their own beliefs. Even the information from pro-palm organizations is outdated which doesn't help either. 

WWF is supporting RSPO which is definitely a good thing

https://www.wwf.org.uk/updates/8-things-know-about-palm-oil

Wholefoods are stocking palm and soy wax candles, but not paraffin candles (at least my local one).

I have settled with.. "As far as we know, our palm wax is from a sustainable source"...

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, strugglebrother said:

1 hour ago, strugglebrother said:

Wholefoods are stocking palm and soy wax candles, but not paraffin candles (at least my local one).

forgive this slight digression- Wholefoods does stock soy "blends" (parasoy) like Paddywax, although it does vary by region.

Edited by pughaus
  • Like 1

1 minute ago, pughaus said:

Forgive this slight digression- Wholefoods does stock soy "blends" (parasoy) like Paddywax, although it does vary by region.

Good to know... I just picked up on what was sold in my local one here..

it's very hard to only stock 100% soy candles if you want to carry any bigger brands...

• Like 2

• 2 years later...

Here is a link I found to assist with how to tell if a company is in fact a certified rspo member,  I have been trying to find a supplier for palm wax, and so far no one is showing up. Even if a company is selling for an rspo member, they are supposed to be a member as well in order to claim rspo status.

https://www.palmoilinvestigations.org/poi-blog/how-to-check-if-a-brand-are-using-certified-palm-oil