New here: questions about coconut/soy and or beeswax blends

Peggy T

I've just found this forum. Yay! I have been making candles for about 5+ years.  I have a soap and candle company and try to use only plant products (and no palm) but it can be challenging. I make a wood wick soy & coconut wax candle which is lovely but prone to being finicky (weak flame if you don't trim, sometimes leaves wax residue on the sides of the jar). I use 95% 464 with 5% coconut 83, wood wick (3" ssj with a  1/2" .04 booster wick from WWC) and 12% (!) FO. Previously I used a lower % FO but the HT was weak. I kind of have a love/hate relationship with wood wicks and the Wooden Wick Co. They're so expensive (both the wicks and the company, in general) but my customers like them a lot. I've found that I have to be pretty scrupulous about trimming the wick, otherwise, the flame tends to get weak.

Now I'm in the process of creating a new candle and am thinking I should use this opportunity to rethink the whole process. I'd love to come up with something that's a bit more consistent, with good HT. I would be happy to stop using 464 but I have 200# sitting around and live near The Flaming Candle so it's tempting to stay with a supplier where you don't have to pay for shipping. 😎 I've been reading here and online about different coconut wax options. I have to admit,  I'm totally confused by the whole coconut wax shortage AND the fact that suppliers are not super clear about what they blend their coconut with. The lack of complete information about blending coconut makes it really hard to compare apples to apples, as I try to come up with a good wax blend. I've been getting my coconut wax from Cal Candle but the shipping is super high since I'm on the east coast. I'm mulling over some different wax ratios and would be grateful for any feedback.

Option #1.  50% 464 and 50% coconut with a lower FO (maybe 8%?). I'm hoping the increased coconut will help with HT and I'd love to decrease my FO use because it's expensive. However, I am worried that 50% coconut will be too soft in the summer, especially since I live in Georgia.

Option #2 a combination of 464, coconut and a little beeswax to help harden the candle. I haven't decided % yet.

Option #3 ditch 464 altogether and go with coconut and beeswax. This would be a lot more expensive but if I could get my FO down to 8% then maybe that would be OK.

Another question: what are folks thoughts on Nature Wax C-6? Since TFC carries C6, that might be a possibility. I was curious too about the coconut container blend from C&S. I read somewhere it has beeswax but then I didn't see that listed on the product description.

Obviously, I'll be testing all of these out so I hope this doesn't look like I'm asking for folks to tell me what they use. Even though I've been making candles for a number of years, it's still challenging with so many variables. Anyway, hi from Georgia and I look forward to learning from y'all and sharing what I've learned over the years. :) Peggy

You know what they say. How do you get to Carnegie Hall? Practice, practice, practice. All are good option. Test all of them and see what works for you. You have a location specific locale, so that has certain requirements. You have a supplier close to you plus plus.

That gives you things to eliminate. You need a formula that doesn’t cost and arm and leg, uses wax you can get nearby saving on shipping costs. Start there.

Hi Peggy,

A Georgia gal here also, up in Blue Ridge in the mountains.   Where are you?

Yep, you will have to test, test and test.

Everything Nightlife said is so true.   Flaming is my biggest and main supplier and being you are that close, I would without hesitation make something work from them and keep them as your main supplier.     I'm almost 3 hours from them and haven't been there....one day I will go there.  26.00 to ship a case of wax is still worth it to not have to drive.

First off 12% oil is way too much oil.   Go back to your 7%.

As far what is a winning combination blend of waxes,  I have yet to see from anyone a winner in this dept.

Sorry not much help.  

Trappeur

Thanks. I live about 6 miles east of downtown Atlanta. Blue Ridge is lovely. My mom used to have a place in Cherry Log so I've spent a lot of time there. Now she has a place outside of Franklin NC so we still get our mountain fix as much as possible. I love it there.

I usually wait to order from TFC until I need several cases and a bunch of FO but they're a great supplier. I can pretty much place an order then drive to their warehouse and it's ready for pick up. I do wish they had a wider selection of plant waxes but I agree that it makes sense to get as much as I can there. If anyone has tried C-6 wax, let me know.