CW palm wax and status jar

I cure for a couple days at best.  I just love the palm wax, but for whatever reason, the status jar has been a challenge.  And, yes, the CSNs seem to have that tall flame.  Definitely takes some getting used to!  

• 2 weeks later...

Definitely try curing longer. I wasn't happy with my palm candles until I started curing them for at least a couple weeks. 

Also, how much FO are you using? I found that as much as 7%fo made my wicks burn too hot.

IMO, a CSN14 or 16 should be doing the trick for you in that jar. Depends on if you like to leave a shell on your glass (I do, but some don't).

• 2 weeks later...
On 10/22/2018 at 3:19 PM, bfroberts said:

I'm using CSN 16.  I wish the flame were a little shorter, but I'm not finding them to be too hot.  14 doesn't clean the jar for me, so I had to bump it up to 16.  How long are you curing before burning?

Are you using the status jar? If so, does the 16 leave a shell?

I’m finding if I go higher on the wick size, like a 16, the flame size is torch-like and scares me.  I’m used to those controlled smaller flames with soy wax. I love palm wax very much, so I will keep researching, testing, etc.  

13 hours ago, kdes7 said:

I’m finding if I go higher on the wick size, like a 16, the flame size is torch-like and scares me.  I’m used to those controlled smaller flames with soy wax. I love palm wax very much, so I will keep researching, testing, etc.  

The flame height with CSNs can be scary. I find though, if I try to wick for a more controlled flame it just doesn't get hot enough to consume the wax efficiently and my throw is compromised. And I'm left with a thick shell. So I have learned to love the torch, lol. The great thing is it never soots, and even the tall flames don't heat the glass excessively. 

Keep playing with it and see where your comfort level is. If the CSNs make you too nervous, maybe try the Premier 700 series. Much smaller flame, but throws well when wicked correctly. I tend to under-wick with the Premiers, so start a little bigger than you think you need. HTH!