Mug Candle Question

I have a question for all of you. I know many people do it, candles in mugs, thin frail wineglasses and lots of containers not made for heat but has anyone actually done candles in coffee mugs without any issues? The reason I ask is I got a new toy, a sublimation printer and in between pouring candles I am having fun making mugs. I was thinking of adding personalized candle mugs to my site that way they have the mug when done. My issue is does the fragrance seep into the ceramic? I would hate to have it effect the taste of the beverage after. I have a mug with a broken handle so I am going to try one but figured I would ask all of you also to see if you have had luck with it.

Thanks,

Karen in MA

Raising hand... it all depends on the mug. Not all ceramics are the same, different clay bodies, different glaze materials, etc. will have different tolerances for the uneven heating a candle creates. 

commercial mugs used for sublimation might be just fine, you’ll need to test a bunch and see. Sublimation stresses the ceramic, but mugs made for that purpose should handle a typical, properly wicked candle just fine. 

You’ll want to make sure the mug is fully glazed inside and out. Glaze on the outside only will cause stress cracks as the clay and ceramic expand and contract at different rates. Unglazed inside also invites seepage depending on the clay body and level of vitrification. 

i make stoneware pots and mugs since the stoneware can withstand many heat/cool cycles durably. 

I was making them in heavy glass Anchor Hocking mugs and never had an issue.  Not sure I ever would again.  I use the same mug for coffee now and we've had 4 of them crack and 2 were from heat when the coffee was being poured. Keeping in mind we drink coffee daily and the mugs are sometimes quite cool when it's poured.  I just won't risk glass breaking on a customer.

I see tons out there in ceramic mugs but I've never found one that I felt comfortable using.  And you're right I see wine glasses and tea cups as well but to me if it's going to get lit that's scary.

• Like 1