Two questions

I test my new FOs in melts before I test them in candles. But 6006 is too soft for melts so I use that rock hard paraffin. I was thinking that what I could do is mix my FO in about 1 ½ ounces of 6006 and pour it into a tin. I could test it on the candle warmer. Would that give me a better idea how the FO would work in my wax?

My other question is if melted some wax and poured it into a container, then melted it again to get it out of the container, could I melt that wax again to make a candle? I’m pretty sure this is OK, but I thought I should check.

On 8/23/2018 at 10:32 AM, TallTayl said:

I keep it really simple:  a few drops of fo on salt in the wax melter. That is enough to reveal if odd notes will come out with heat. 

Well I may not be the sharpest knife in the drawer, then again I do live in a drawer full of razor sharp cutlery, but I am smart enough to always pay attention to what you tell me. So I went out on the web to learn how to do this and got zero. Still unsure of what I was doing I got a 4oz tin and put enough salt in it to cover the bottom. I then added a few drops of the FO that I had already tested and it worked like a charm. I even tried a blend with that and another FO, the blend didn’t work, but the process did. My question is what else do I need to know? Is my process OK and do I need to change the salt out between test?

• Haha 2

The salt lasts quite a long time. I only switch it out when changing scents. You can use the salt in your vacuum later if you like it.  Or put into a little bag in your car... or in a bowl in your bathroom... endless possibilities. Your process is fine. Nice and simple.  I put the salt right on my wax warmer thingie for Scentsy stuff. 

That test is super nice to discover notes that only only appear when warmed.  Some flat out are disgusting! Saved me time and wax 🤣

• Thanks 2

This will be fun. I just recently bought a wax melter that has a dish so I'm going to test out some fragrance oils with the salt. I've plugged it in added a little salt patch and 3 drops of scent and it's heating up now. ☺️

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Laura C said:

This will be fun. I just recently bought a wax melter that has a dish so I'm going to test out some fragrance oils with the salt. I've plugged it in added a little salt patch and 3 drops of scent and it's heating up now. ☺️

Ok, I guess that does work pretty good to test out scents. Not sure if I have enough or too much salt, I'll keep playing around with it. This is the first time I have used the wax melter so I'm going to try a wax melt now and see how it does. Maybe my wax melter is just fine but I was expecting it to get a little hotter than what is has gotten after 2 hrs, I don't know, obviously. I did buy it on clearance, maybe that's why it was on sale. LOL. 😝

28 minutes ago, Laura C said:

Not sure if I have enough or too much salt, I'll keep playing around with it. 

Awh ha. I just found the answer to my question in one of @TallTayl's other posts. Basically, use a teaspoon of salt and 3-5 drops of scent. I'll do that next time. I don't think I was using enough to cover a large enough area. 

• Like 2

My favorite tart melter is the $10 Glade warmer I got from the air freshener section of my grocery store. My other ones may be prettier, but that little hot plate warmer melts anything and throws like crazy. I just feel like the bulbs don't get warm enough.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1