Experience with Ultra Wax coconut blend by General Wax

Hello all chandlers.

I have been searching on here to see if anyone uses or has experience with a coconut wax blend called Ultra Wax from General Wax. I can't find anything. If someone has anything to share then please do. If I can remember tomorrow, I will call General Wax and ask them about this issue.  https://www.candlemakingsupplies.net/candle-wax/coconut-soy-wax-blend/cate_240/p___GWULTRA105.html

I have recently started testing it and it has good scent throw but the darn wax is so soft. I even put some additives in it and it's still very soft. Could just be a case of needing a long cure time. Does anyone know?

Edited by Laura C

22 minutes ago, Jenni Wix said:

I emailed them, but don't think I've heard anything back. I was interested in the specs.  I would be really grateful if you hear anything to find out more. Other than the softness, is it burning very cleanly?

Hi @Jenni Wix. I did call them earlier today and here's the scoop. I asked what all is in it besides the Coconut and Soy waxes but was told it is a proprietary mix and they don't give that out. I'm real curious to see if you get a different answer. I told him my issue and he said to harden them up try the Vybar 260 or the Micro Wax. He didn't say which Micro wax and when I looked on their site I saw 2 different ones. At least I know what direction to go in.

Yes, if I remember correctly, the few candles I have made so far have burned nicely but I need to go back and revisit my notes. Those candles were made in Dec. 2017 and the candle tops are still soft and spongy so obviously a long cure time is not the answer to the soft candle issue. LOL. I'm waiting for my new batch of wax to arrive and then I'll be testing again. Can give more details then. I also tested their Ultra Wicks made for that wax but I didn't care for them at all. I may give them another shot just to be sure.

Have you used the Ultra wax or just thinking about it?

Edited by Laura C

The whole “proprietary mix” thing is frustrating from a potential allergen perspective.  Some friends, family and customers have severe allergies reactions to coconut, among other things. Should be required to divulge what’s in it.

likewise, vegans won’t be too happy to know palm, beeswax, etc is in some blends. 

IMO, be honest about your product and you’ll have plenty of business.  

• Like 2

Thanks, @Laura C .  I was wanting to order some if I could be pretty sure it doesn't contain paraffin, because it's closer to me than the wax supplier I'm considering now. I figured that's what they would say.  Even if they said proprietary mix of vegetable glycerides, customers would know without knowing exactly.   I'm personally wanting to avoid paraffin.  I'm surprised there's not mds sheet etc. available from the manufacturer, or instructions on the site (unless I missed it).  I hope you have some luck with hardening it.  ☺️

Well said, @TallTayl.

1 hour ago, Jenni Wix said:

I'm personally wanting to avoid paraffin.  I'm surprised there's not mds sheet etc. available from the manufacturer, or instructions on the site (unless I missed it).  I hope you have some luck with hardening it.  ☺️

Oh yeah, I forgot to ask the guy at General Wax about the MSDS for the Ultra Wax. Oh well. No, I didn't see in depth info about the wax on their site either. I don't have any concern or problem with paraffin, I'll use it if needed. From a marketing perspective, I'd like to be able to offer something more unusual like a coconut wax blend of some sort. Thanks, yes, after the wax arrives I'll make more candles with Ultra and some hardeners. I'm excited. 😊

Edited by Laura C
  • Like 1