The highest quality FO? From Europe perhaps?

I have ordered FO from about 15 different companies, there are slight differences of course but some smell especially “one-note” or very artificial and cloying. I am wondering if there are suppliers I’m missing, perhaps more “perfume oriented” or high end Fragrance companies that aren’t the usual ones we discuss.

For example, has anyone tried ordering FO from European companies? Perhaps from the Grasse area of France, where they make perfumes? (In Grasse, I’ve read that they use both essential oils AND fragrance oils...so I’m wondering if it’s worth finding a FO company housed there?)

It’s kind of like a food recipe; you can get the ingredients like milk and vegetables from the local convienece store, or from a gourmet market. Presumably, the gourmet market will have the highest quality ingredients. 

I know this can be argued either way! I just want to know thoughts about trying ;)

• Like 1

Me personally, my client base is not so particular or sophisticated that I need to worry about anything any more high-end than what the typical suppliers here in the US provide, and I wouldn't want to pay the customs/shipping charges to have something imported.

My bottom line would just not allow that exorbitant of a fee to pass along to my client base anyway so I have not ventured out. 

I've tried high-end EO's in both my candle and soap making, and honestly the cost is not worth it since there is rarely any scent at all in the end product. Also in my frame of mind, just because you pay more for something, doesn't necessarily make it better, and I have found in most cases that to be true. 

• Like 3

I agree with the above.  The cost alone would be prohibitive.  Then there's no guarantee the EO/FO's would even work in my products.  I find as long as I'm purchasing from reputable suppliers there are great products or duds from each and every one of them. 

• Like 1

On 8/11/2018 at 11:24 AM, candlesinflorida said:

But the shipping costs aren’t always that big a deal, it depends on the supplier. Some US sellers have ridiculous shipping costs too.

Which is why I won't buy from those who I feel "gouge" their shipping costs. There are perfectly great FO's from too many suppliers whose costs are reasonable, and shipping isn't outrageous. I stand by my statement that more expensive doesn't equate better. 

• Like 1

I'm not sure if they can be shipped by air..or only ground transport (boat in your case Candlesinflorida) because of flashpoint.....just a thought

Have you given sweetcakes a shot ...looks like they carry a selection of high end perfume dupes...worth a try and  I'm sure ...although expensive I expect it will not be more than a shipment from France....you might also give lebermuth a try...this is just my humble opinion:D

On 8/13/2018 at 12:19 PM, Sunday said:

I'm not sure if they can be shipped by air..or only ground transport (boat in your case Candlesinflorida) because of flashpoint.....just a thought

Have you given sweetcakes a shot ...looks like they carry a selection of high end perfume dupes...worth a try and  I'm sure ...although expensive I expect it will not be more than a shipment from France....you might also give lebermuth a try...this is just my humble opinion:D

Thank you! I actually have ordered from London and Australia before, and it was no problem. I can't remember if I tried sweet cakes, but I will check and I will also check out Lebermuth. Do you think those two have more highly concentrated oils, or higher quality ingredients?

• Like 1

58 minutes ago, candlesinflorida said:

Thank you! I actually have ordered from London and Australia before, and it was no problem. I can't remember if I tried sweet cakes, but I will check and I will also check out Lebermuth. Do you think those two have more highly concentrated oils, or higher quality ingredients?

I can't say if they have a higher concentration....I'm curious, how did you like the fragrance oils that you purchased from Australia and the UK ? Did you find them to be an improvement from the oils they sell in the US. Wonderful to hear that shipping was not an issue. ..perhaps you have tapped into  a new shopping avenue for all of us:yay:

• 4 months later...

If you are willing to buy at least 10lb or 25lb there are a lot of very nice fragrances here in America. You can reach out to any of the fragrance houses and buy samples, they usually have over 5000 fragrances in their catalog. But you can't buy by the pound and prices are usually not as cheap as $10-$20 per pound.

Most fragrances from the candle and soap suppliers are either watered down or just the same 50 fragrances just copy / pasted over and over. Remember that they need to make a decent profit by just reselling the oil's they get from the fragrance house.

I wouldn't expect a candle store in the UK to have much more different stuff than here in America. I usually see the same fragrances over there as here and I doubt they would be much better.

In Europe, in general, I feel that retail candles are scented with more subtle clean fragrances (some would say boring) and in America, more bold / foody scents (some would say overpowering). Nothing I have proof of, more of an observation when I go home to Sweden and see what's on the shelves in stores.