Preventing Soot

After extensive jar / wax / wick testing, I am now moving on to fragrance testing with 5 of my friends testing.   The last goal I am focused on is preventing any soot from appearing on my 8oz. Libbey rocks glass.   

Question 1:  In a world of different fragrances and customers who power burn, is it unrealistic to expect that I can get all of my candles to burn soot free?

I have landed on 6006 in a 8oz. rocks jar with LX-14.  All of by burns without fragrance are doing great with no soot.  As soon as I add fragrance some of the fragrances will eventually soot. 

Question 2:  For each fragrance I want to develop, should I be wicking up / down and also changing to something like Zinc or CD and testing all combinations to decide on the ideal combination?   I have all the patience in the world to develop the best candle I can, so am wondering:  in a candle line of 8 different scents, do some people have a variety of different wick types and sizes to ensure the best burn for that particular fragrance?  It seems to mean that each fragrance has different burn characteristics and that there must be an ideal wick and % fragrance if I keep the jar and wax the same.  Or do others simply stick to the same wicks and only offer the fragrances that burn best under those conditions.  In other words, do you let the wick or fragrance guide your candle line?

In all the years I have been making candles I have worked with C3, 464 and 415.  When I first started making candles for years my wax of choice was c3 with htp wicks.  Later on down the road I wandered over to 415 and finally to 464 where my choice of wicks came to be cd's.  In my testings I tried ecos (they produced soot) and I eliminated them and then finally found my choice of wick that worked best to be cd's.  I sell wholesale and it is a non stop endless array of fragrances that are forever always being tested but in just the cd wicks as far as offering a new fragrance.  I offer many different styles of jars that I have perfected my wick sizes for that particular jar.  And I do quite a bit of great big sizes of jars for example, actual crystal pieces that take 3 wicks a jar.  Some of these pieces are 7 to 8" diameter pieces.  I love doing big jars....of course there is a lot of wax that go in pieces such as these that range from 1 1/2 pounds of wax to 2 1/2 pounds of wax.  I find myself a triple wicked container puts off a much stronger throwing candle.  Another jar I offer is the large 32 oz (quart) canning jar.   Not many do jars as big as I do, but I have been fortunate to be able to market containers to select shops that can command a big price tag on jars such as I make.   This is not for every one, but over the years I have been able to perfect my own style.  It took a long time to develop a market for myself so I could offer something different to the shop that is different than the norm (well I think so).  Getting off the track slightly but back to your last question;  do I let the wick or fragrance guide my candle line?   I would say for me, it would be the fragrance since I know what wicks will fit what ever jar I'm using.

Trappeur

• Thanks 1

It is reasonable to shoot for a slot free burn. 

Every single fragrance will potentially be wicked differently. There is no way to know what wick is needed without burning one from start to finish. With your baseline your fo tests should be easier to dial in. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1