Odd Topic - Heat Sources!

On 7/22/2018 at 6:00 PM, MrDan said:

@Hopie Start making some blue ice candles,

Or better yet, blue ice tarts that look like chunked up crystals. And while you are making them, play "Crystal Blue Persuasion" really loud!! HAHAHA

(don't get me started on BB - HANDS DOWN my all-time favorite series EVER,. Hands DOWN) 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

I did see somewhere that I can make candles that look like crystals...the gemstone kind :lol:  That would be cool to have on my tables in January, when we do the ten day gem show in Quartzsite :)  Anyone know how to make those? 

On ‎6‎/‎27‎/‎2018 at 5:28 AM, MrDan said:

Maybe I’m just not understanding how you can pour cleanly with a Presto Pot. Is this pot being physically lifted to pour the wax, or is it being scooped into something else to be poured? Are the dyes and fragrances mixed in there as well?

I looked at the pots and I can see where it could be really useful, but I also noticed the lowest setting was for 200 degrees on most of these pots. Isn’t there a good chance I’d just scorch the wax?

Mr Dan:  to answer your questions in order asked:

1) no you don't lift the presto pot to pour out the wax, but you scoop the wax out into a pour pot. Place the pour pot in a pan of hot water and take your temps there...adding FOs and dyes at the appropriate temp.  I use the presto to keep the basic wax ready and waiting from me......when I have the urge to make candles(I'm a hobbiest only) I heat up the presto pot then dip out what I need/want to work with into my pour pots.

In response to your meth comment,  I do get a little paranoid when I'm pouring some of the 'earthy scents' hoping that my neighbors don't think that I'm running a """kitchen""" in my house...when I pour scents like Nag Champ, the smell drafts out into the neighborhood but at the present time, I don't have any neighbors that will complain....  smile!!!  Oh well, if anyone does complain, the 'officials' are more than welcome to browse my house.

In my other life, I am an accountant and sometimes I would get stuck on a particular client's situation and my mentor told me:  You are overthinking the situation.  And I find that the same is true in candle making....sometimes we just have to pour what we have and go from there...taking notes on what we did, see how it burns and adjust from there if necessary.

Get a presto pot.......that will give you approx 8lbs of wax ready and waiting for you when you get the urge...........kwim????

• Like 1