Need Opinions, Advice or any other input I can get

The two pictures were taken three hours into the second day of burn testing. It is an 8oz tureen with 160g, or 5.6oz, of 6006 wax, 8% FO load, and a CD6 wick. The burn rate has been a steady 4g/hr except that by the third hour yesterday it dropped to 3g/hr and the flame was small. I had to stop after three hours yesterday. Today the flame shrank some, but the burn rate stayed steady. It took three hours to get close to a FMP and there was no change from hours three to four. The wicks curl so the wax is melted to the edge on one side but I have a ½ inch of unmelted wax on the other side.

IMG_1616.thumb.JPG.b5996f7c1e667b5d66f3551e2ed98e47.JPGIMG_1615.thumb.JPG.ffc82b05c39ca78ac43aee4da48d6e17.JPG

29 minutes ago, Trappeur said:

Looking good.  You have a good scent coming through?

Trappeur

I'm not sure, I don't trust my nose anymore. This was 80% Spa Day and 20% Lemongrass, which worked well. In the room next to it I was testing a White Tea and Ginger from the Chemistry Store and it had a little better HT, but the room was slightly smaller. I made eight candles with different FOs so hopefully after I've burned them all I'll be able to judge which had good HT and which didn't. and which need a different wick. BTW I'm going to take one last shot at double wicking the 11oz tureen. I have WI 720s and WI 715s, those are the smallest wicks I could find.

I don't use your wax or wicks, but I'm wondering if 2 cd 4's might work in that jar.  When I wicked that same jar but in an 8oz and used 1 wick there was quite a bit of wax left at the bottom using 1 wick.  Now I do a lot of the 20oz tureen but I use 2 wicks and they do beautiful without all the left over wax at bottom.  I don't know...it's just a suggestion.   It's just such an odd shape jar, but beautiful.....I love the tureens.

Trappeur

Edited by Trappeur
  • Like 1

You know what I do a lot?  I go to Lonestars site and click on the jar that I am going to use (as they have just about every style jar everyone has) and when you click on the style jar you are using they have tons of questions that people ask about and you can see lots of other selections of wicks that people say they use and whether they double or single wick them.  Don't click on the reviews, just click on the questions asked.  

Trappeur

• Like 1

Your getting into the wider part of the jar now so the 6 may not be able to consume fast enough 

I don’t use those jars but trapp has a good suggestion to try double wicking 

I have been playing with the 16 ounce apothecary....haven’t a clue why it’s been a huge headache but I bought 10 cases on sale so now I’m stuck and I run into the same issue single wicked - it goes beautifully until I get to the widest part and now I’m forced after several attempts increasing wick size with no luck to double wicking it  🙈

• Like 1

Moonshine, you use 415, correct?  Well, same thing happened to me with those jars and the country comfort.  I could get by with a cd 20 at times and sometimes a cd 22 though I don't really like going with that big a wick size...so I tried 2 cd 4's and they seemed to work in the start of a burn but then fizzled out.  I wound up going with 2 cd 5's...Haven't used those jars in a while and they might be a tad big the 5's with the wax problems lately, but just food for thought you might want to give that a shot...I had better throw also.

Trappeur:)

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Trappeur said:

I don't use your wax or wicks, but I'm wondering if 2 cd 4's might work in that jar.  When I wicked that same jar but in an 8oz and used 1 wick there was quite a bit of wax left at the bottom using 1 wick.  Now I do a lot of the 20oz tureen but I use 2 wicks and they do beautiful without all the left over wax at bottom.  I don't know...it's just a suggestion.   It's just such an odd shape jar, but beautiful.....I love the tureens.

Trappeur

I think CD 2's might work, but I haven't tried them because the shipping was prohibitive. For some reason when I double wick the 11oz tureen it creates really strong air currents so it needs small wicks. I tried the smallest wicks I could get my hands on. Aztec had 3 smaller sizes of Premier 700 series wicks that none of my other suppliers carried, but by the time I got them I had moved on to single wicking, which has worked better than I expected. Still I think double wicking will be better if I can get a wick that works. BTW I believe I'm getting good HT from my 8oz tureens; my wife came home and told me the two I was testing were too strong and they weren't as strong as the one pictured above. 

3 hours ago, Trappeur said:

You know what I do a lot?  I go to Lonestars site and click on the jar that I am going to use (as they have just about every style jar everyone has) and when you click on the style jar you are using they have tons of questions that people ask about and you can see lots of other selections of wicks that people say they use and whether they double or single wick them.  Don't click on the reviews, just click on the questions asked.  

Trappeur

Thank you for this! I have been on Lonestar's site a million times as i order my wax from them since they are closest to me and have never seen this as I never thought to look!

2 hours ago, moonshine said:

Your getting into the wider part of the jar now so the 6 may not be able to consume fast enough 

I have been playing with the 16 ounce apothecary....haven’t a clue why it’s been a huge headache but I bought 10 cases on sale so now I’m stuck and I run into the same issue single wicked - it goes beautifully until I get to the widest part and now I’m forced after several attempts increasing wick size with no luck to double wicking it  🙈

I use htp 1312 in the 16 oz apothecary/country comfort jar with my 464.

5 hours ago, moonshine said:

The interesting thing is that the shape of the container creates air currents that are strongest at the widest part of the jar, so that you often need less wick there than you did at the narrowest part.