I need professional help!

My wick test candle i have burning atm is sitting right next to me and i tend to look at it even 10-15 minutes to see how it is doing.  I can see it out the corner of my eye when i am on my pc so i will know if something is going wrong with the burn.  I forgot to trim the wick on it earlier and had to blow it out and trim it really quick as the flame was way to large.

Edited by ncraiders

1 hour ago, TallTayl said:

It’s good to have a mix of testers. We (I) tend to babysit mine too much. If I see the wick is a little long I instinctively trim it. My husband does not. We get very different results in the same household, and I get to witness how badly mine can fail. 

I sent @moonshine a couple of this year’s tins recently that burned 100% textbook perfect in my trials. I was so excited to finally have an acceptable tin for summer. Her office room temp and air currents were just different enough to make them burn a little too hot. Someone in her office lit them on a follow up burn and left the wick a fraction too long and it again burned hotter than optimal. 1/8” - 1/4” wick length difference in soy makes a humongous difference 😫 wicking down creates a throw problem and burn problem for those who do trim properly. Ya can’t win.

Likewise, if I send one to my fam in the fall/winter, they may not burn hot enough since temps during those seasons plummet (like  living in igloos). We have to develop a range of acceptable, since no candle will ever be perfection. I like to see the containers after people burn them.  It tells me an awful lot. 

Well I could make five identical candles and burn them in the following locations:

My den with the strange air flow

The living room that isn’t air-conditioned

The warm, humid garage

My cool, dry bedroom with the abundance of air flow

The hot, humid back porch

I could also make three more and burn them in the same environment with different starting wick lengths and after the initial burns I could test the effect of trimming or not trimming the wicks. I’ll have to check, but I think I have the containers, and I have lots of wax. All I have is a small melt pot so I’ll have to be very careful to not let process enter into the equation. Should I use FO or not? I will have to pour them on Sunday and burn them a week later. Any thoughts or advice?

You could.

Or you could just send them to five random people and ask them to burn them and send you back the container.

I would shy away from questionnaires because it evokes the Hertzberg Effect. When people know that they’re being watched they do things differently.

• Like 1