How long should I wait before testing?

I’m on a quest to find the best wick to use in double wicking my 11oz tureens with 6006 wax. On Friday poured seven 4oz tins with different wicks and I am unsure hoe long I should wait to start my test. I was thinking 4 days, but I haven’t a clue why I think that. I may never find the right wick, but when I die my wife will be able to sell my wick collection and retire off of the proceeds.

If you are testing for wick only and they are unscented candles you want your wax to be completely solid and cool when you test. So I would wait at least 2-3 days. If you are also testing for scent, and 6006 is a parasoy, I would wait at least 5-7 days for the scent/wax to completely cure. 

I don't use this wax, however, so someone with more experience can come in and let you know better. 

For my paraffin, I wait at least 3-4 days to wick/scent test. If I were using a 100% soy wax I would wait 14 days, so for a parasoy I would compromise and test somewhere in the middle of those at 5-7. 

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Jcandleattic said:

If you are testing for wick only and they are unscented candles you want your wax to be completely solid and cool when you test. So I would wait at least 2-3 days. If you are also testing for scent, and 6006 is a parasoy, I would wait at least 5-7 days for the scent/wax to completely cure. 

I don't use this wax, however, so someone with more experience can come in and let you know better. 

For my paraffin, I wait at least 3-4 days to wick/scent test. If I were using a 100% soy wax I would wait 14 days, so for a parasoy I would compromise and test somewhere in the middle of those at 5-7. 

I add FO because the final product will have it, but I'm not judging the fragrance. Perhaps  I should wait until Thursday to start the test. I need to work on my setup as tins can get hot, and I would rather not start a fire, so I better get that right before I start.

On 3/12/2018 at 3:02 PM, Crafty1_AJ said:

I like a week's cure time to be safe.  But I must confess:  I have started test burns in as little as 3-4 days.  Not always a patient person.  :D

This! I am soooo impatient and sometimes make a second tester just so I have something to burn. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 2