Wick has big black stuff on top

I make scented candles and after burning my candles for a few hours, the wicks gets this black heavy matrerial on the top. What am I doing wrong? it almost looks like a mushroom on top of the wick.

Thanks!

Russ:)

Hi

Like Michael said, if your using zinc cored wicks or even paper core - this is the nature of the beast. Some also say that it is an indication that the wick needs trimming, or could even be an incorrect ratio of additives. If you are sure that you are doing everything right, and it still does it, then you'll have to decide if you really want to use them. The frustrating thing is that sometime they do it, and sometimes not. I've used it in containers and it looked like an alien sitting on top of my wick, but I've also used smaller sizes in votives and no mushroom. If you are doing pillars, a flat wick is a good suggestion - I've only had one mushroom on me so far (and very small). By the way, I use the LX's for pillars.:smiley2:

HTH

Katinka

lol the mushrooms will drive you crazy....i use zinc wicks and always have to deal with them.. after much testing and tweaking I have gotten them to as tolerable level but...just keep experimenting and testing.... I had one mushroom on a tester yesterday that looked like a blasted palm tree the thing was so big:shocked2: so back to the drawing board with THAT fo/wax/wick combo ..Good luck!