Tin containers

Hi I have yet another question...

Man I didn't realize that this hobby I decided to start was gonna be so difficult I enjoy doing it and Don't want to give up and I know it takes a long time but I don't seem to be getting anywhere.

My question is I have switched to using tin containers which I really like alot better

I am using CBL-130 wax from candlewic ( I love this wax)

I am using 8oz with 3" diameter and 16oz with 4" diameter tin containers

I am using the ECO wicks.

Problem they are tunneling like crazy. I know fragrance, colors and lots of other factors come in

But I was wondering if someone could give me a size wick that is at least a good starting point for what I am using?

Do I double wick the 16oz tins idk what to do anymore

Feeling very discouraged

Tins are hard to wick. I don't use your wax, but I do double wick the 16 oz.

with a tin, shoot for a small hang up for the first third. There's no real air current for the first 1/2 to 3/4 of an inch. 

By the middle, hang up will be pretty much gone. By the last third it will get pretty hot. 

To get an idea quickly of which wick, start with tins poured half way. 

• Like 1

Ditto exactly what TT said!   So you must be using too small a wick.  What size wicks are you using?   I don't know anything about your wax as I use 464.  Like TT said .....I single wick the 8oz tin in a cd 10 and double wick the 16oz in 2 cd 4...  Are you curing these candles also and for how long?   Like TT said you DO WANT hangup ( or unmelted wax/residue) on the tins.

Trappeur

3 hours ago, Trappeur said:

Ditto exactly what TT said!   So you must be using too small a wick.  What size wicks are you using?   I don't know anything about your wax as I use 464.  Like TT said .....I single wick the 8oz tin in a cd 10 and double wick the 16oz in 2 cd 4...  Are you curing these candles also and for how long?   Like TT said you DO WANT hangup ( or unmelted wax/residue) on the tins.

Trappeur

I cure the candles for 7-10 days

I believe the size wicks I'm using is definitely to small

I'm using ECO 6 & 8's

I need to move up a CPL

I'm gonna try to do that and hopefully it will help

Thanks 

19 hours ago, Candle husband said:

Man I didn't realize that this hobby I decided to start was gonna be so difficult I enjoy doing it and Don't want to give up and I know it takes a long time but I don't seem to be getting anywhere.

I am a hobbyist also and I feel your pain. I started last March and it took a lot of trial and error before I could make a decent candle. The best advice I could give you is read this board, almost any question you have has been answered here several times. I am also using a parasoy, but it is 6006. I gave up on the ECO wicks and started using zinc core, they have worked much better for me but I don’t think they make one big enough for the 16oz tin. I have just started experimenting with other wicks for larger containers, but I read that that the Premier 700 series are good. There is lots of good information on wick testing on this board.

Hi.  I would try an ECO 12 if you have any.  I checked Candlewic’s website and that is their suggestion for a 3” diameter container.  I just got a couple of pounds of CBL 130 and am going to start testing with CDN’s, CD’s and then zinc cored. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, barbaranj said:

Hi.  I would try an ECO 12 if you have any.  I checked Candlewic’s website and that is their suggestion for a 3” diameter container.  I just got a couple of pounds of CBL 130 and am going to start testing with CDN’s, CD’s and then zinc cored. 

I love the CBL-130 wax

I'm using the ECO series because Bill binder from candlewic suggested that would be a good wick to use with this wax.

I was also.told to try the RRD series

I have ordered some ECO 12's and 14's

Please let me know how the CDN and CD works for you.

Thanks!!!

• Like 1

On 1/30/2018 at 5:35 PM, Candle husband said:

I love the CBL-130 wax

I'm using the ECO series because Bill binder from candlewic suggested that would be a good wick to use with this wax.

I was also.told to try the RRD series

I have ordered some ECO 12's and 14's

Please let me know how the CDN and CD works for you.

Thanks!!!

Candle Husband...Here are the  first 3 hour burn results.  The wax is not dyed or scented. The zinc wick mushroomed like crazy! The CDN seems the best of the 3. 

48786EBD-1F47-4C24-B3ED-AACD858E09F9.thumb.jpeg.5f86d1d742199d0155296f941336e06f.jpeg

20 hours ago, barbaranj said:

Candle Husband...Here are the  first 3 hour burn results.  The wax is not dyed or scented. The zinc wick mushroomed like crazy! The CDN seems the best of the 3. 

48786EBD-1F47-4C24-B3ED-AACD858E09F9.thumb.jpeg.5f86d1d742199d0155296f941336e06f.jpeg

Thanks....I'm waiting on my RRD wicks to come in...the CDN definitely looks the best... appreciate the update I'll let you know how RRD does compared to ECO once I get them ☺️

• Like 1