Teaching/trusting someone else to pour?

My husband and I are thinking of having another baby, and we're trying to figure out how it will effect my business. After a year of testing and learning, I launched in August and have been slowly but steadily growing this business into something I'm proud of. I haven't run into the 464 issues others have (I think this is because I changed containers in January and so I was already testing and identifying wicks in the 'new' wax), and I would hate to put candlemaking on hold for 9 months. 

So...is it crazy to think I could teach my husband to do the FO parts of the process? I could wick and label all the jars, even start the wax melting, but he'd have to measure the FO and actually pour the candles. We do have a respirator (my husband worked in pharmaceuticals so he made sure it was an appropriate kind for airborne fragrance), and we have windows and could in theory put in an exhaust fan - but I just don't know if I'm comfortable using FO whilst pregnant. Maybe I'm being overly cautious?

Anyway - I'm rambling. Just looking for tips, or experiences in teaching someone else your craft. 

Does your husband want to do it? I can't imagine it would be difficult to teach him how, the actual mechanics of pouring wax aren't all that complicated. My concern would be commitment level. But then I can't get my husband to commit to washing the dishes, so perhaps my point of view is skewed. 😂

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 2

He actually suggested it - he works for himself so his schedule is relatively flexible (especially compared to mine). He's my biggest supporter. 

It just took me so long to feel confident and feel like I 'knew' my wax - how long to stir, what it looked like at different stages, etc. But he does have a manufacturing background so I think you're right that he could learn. 

3 hours ago, jbradshaw said:

He actually suggested it - he works for himself so his schedule is relatively flexible (especially compared to mine). He's my biggest supporter. 

It just took me so long to feel confident and feel like I 'knew' my wax - how long to stir, what it looked like at different stages, etc. But he does have a manufacturing background so I think you're right that he could learn. 

You can teach anybody anything as long as they are willing to learn, and if he is willing, you will be fine. :)

Even doctors had to be taught how to be doctors, so, ... 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, jbradshaw said:

And certainly you could begin to teach him now, before it's an issue, maybe even make a tutorial video for him to refer to. I didn't mean to trivialize the process, of course it's not as simple as "heat to xyz temp, add FO and pour at zyx temp" like the suppliers would have us believe! 😂

But you've already done all the heavy lifting, so to speak, with all the testing and learning the wax. It sounds like he might just need super clear instructions, a little practice and some visual aids.

I would be curious to hear some other opinions from the expercienced chandlers too!

ETA: my thoughts as well @Jcandleattic!

Edited by Sarah S
  • Like 1

I poured candles while pregnant with all three of my children. I just made sure we were well ventilated and wore gloves and a respirator mask. My first and second I was pouring about 10 lbs a day. By my third it could be several hundred lbs at a time daily. No problems other than some scents made me sick to my stomach. I worked for a supplier during this time as well. Most women don't give it up, they just work safer. :)

• Like 2

Sounds to me like you're more concerned with the "fumes" in the air if you're pregnant?  As far as hubby doing some of the grunt work...I don't think that would be a problem...most of us males are able to handle such complex tasks...lol..  The only thing I would check out is the air quality..seems that Flicker did ok?

• Like 1