DOLLAR TREE JARS? yay or nay?

Hello!! Okay, so I have been doing candle tests the last 6 weeks and have been using the status type jars from Dollar Tree- I'm not sure if they are legit or not but they are heavy with even bottoms- They say they are made in columbia and distributed from VA. I can't find ANYWHERE what the thickness of these jars are in comparison so status jars ordered from candle science or other sites. I purchased a case of 12 from Candle science today in order to compare. I'm concerned because I went to put a lid on my jar after a test burn and it just shattered on me out of nowhere. I know my wick wasn't too large because i was debating on wicking up in general and I have used even hotter wicks with this jar before.  I had another one shatter on me when I accidentally hit it  the wrong way with a metal object today as well!--- this is the first time this has ever happened ( and twice in one day) but i've been using these jars the entire time so i'm kind of dumbfounded. I obviously want to offer future customers a safe product and am concerned. EVEN if the status jars from CS are the same width as DT should I choose theirs because of their reliability? HELP!! I'm so tired of spending money on test jars that don't work LOL 

Edited by Jbruza

I'm sorry to hear about those jars!  Libbey glassware used to have their name etched on the bottom of the jar/glass, but I see with a Status Jar I have here, that their name does not appear on the jar or the lid.  Maybe they stopped doing that, but I've also purchased Libbey glassware from discount stores, seeing their company name etched in the glass.  So, now, how do we know it's really Libbey?  I attempted to search on the Libbey website for that jar, but I'm not coming up with it, I was curious to look at it on their site.  Well, I'm not of much help here, I know, "dumbfounded" as well.

Edited by birdcharm

14 minutes ago, birdcharm said:

I'm sorry to hear about those jars!  Libbey glassware used to have their name etched on the bottom of the jar/glass, but I see with a Status Jar I have here, that their name does not appear on the jar or the lid.  Maybe they stopped doing that, but I've also purchased Libbey glassware from discount stores, seeing their company name etched in the glass.  So, now, how do we know it's really Libbey?  I attempted to search on the Libbey website for that jar, but I'm not coming up with it, I was curious to look at it on their site.  Well, I'm not of much help here, I know, "dumbfounded" as well.

Glad i'm not the only one confused! LOL I just looked on CS website and they said that their jars are made in columbia which happens to be the same place that DT says theirs are from. Looking at their price point it seems to be likely they are manufactured in the same area and then sent to more local distribution locations...Maybe my jars cracking were just a fluke-- i'm not the most gentle person anyway :/

8 minutes ago, jguff330 said:

I just ordered some for my first batch and I found that jarstore.com/jars had the cheapest I could find. I got a 16 oz with glass lid for about $1.75 per jar including shipping.  Not sure if that's a well known site here.

Thank you jguff- I took a quick look at the dimensions and they were a bit off from the jar I was looking for but they might work. However , they are out of stock anyway so I will be checking in on them later :) I'm honestly hoping that the DT ones will work but I'm just hoping from some consolation from someone who can vouch for them.

I used to order the Libbey status jars by the case from DT when they had their $4.95 shipping specials.  I've bought a blue million of them.  Sometime a year or two ago, I started receiving mixed shipments - like one box would be Libbey and the next would be the Greenbrier International, which is DT's distributing company.  Then i started looking at the jars in the stores and slowly they stopped having the jars marked as Libbey and now they only have the Greenbrier Int'l branded jars.  The Greenbrier jars have more visual flaws, and my initial hunch was that they are seconds or blemished Libbey jars that DT is getting cheaper than the originals.  I can't find any other difference in them, but the visual flaws do make me wonder if they could possibly be structurally compromised.   Over the last year or two, I have used both types over and over for testing and I have never had one shatter on me.  Still, I'm not as comfortable selling the new jars.  I have a couple of cases of the Libbeys left & I use the others for testing and personal use.  If I continue to sell the Status jars, I will buy them elsewhere for my own peace of mind.

DT does still sell the Cube jars with the Libbey label and other Libbey products, so to me it just makes sense that the status type jars are probably just seconds/blemished Libbey jars that are rebranded with the Greenbrier label.  But who knows.

• Like 1

That makes  a lot of sense. 

I'd like to add that the jars I'm about to pour came from the Jar Store, which a friend purchased (going to do the candles for her), and one of them had a chip.  I remember Libbey glassware being so sturdy, but maybe now, as with many things, we simply are not receiving quite the same quality of products as days gone by.

I have both.  Dollar tree jars and Libbey Status jars from the jar store. DT has no lid. ,The jar store sells the lids by the case for the Libbey Status Jars and The lids fit snug on the libbey jars, from them. I tried the lid from TJS on the DT jar and thye could work but they are not as snug of a fit on the Dt jar. I  Have not had issue with either one.  But I want lids and I want the lids to be a snug fit so I am sticking with The Jar Store.  I bought a few of those DT jars when I was there for testing.  Both seem to be a heavy jar but the Libbey is better in my opinion.  The glass can get hot in my opinion if overwicked or maybe not the wick choice for the wax could cause that ???  I am new at this but I do believe the Libbey is better. 

• Like 1

On 11/5/2017 at 1:33 AM, Gsmakinsoap said:

Where do you get your lids for the DT jars? I haven't seen any at DT.

I use the lids for the 12 oz status jars from candle science. They don't fit extremely snuggly but they do fit and I will continue to use them. 

Edited by Jbruza
  • Like 1

On 11/5/2017 at 9:01 AM, bfroberts said:

I used to order the Libbey status jars by the case from DT when they had their $4.95 shipping specials.  I've bought a blue million of them.  Sometime a year or two ago, I started receiving mixed shipments - like one box would be Libbey and the next would be the Greenbrier International, which is DT's distributing company.  Then i started looking at the jars in the stores and slowly they stopped having the jars marked as Libbey and now they only have the Greenbrier Int'l branded jars.  The Greenbrier jars have more visual flaws, and my initial hunch was that they are seconds or blemished Libbey jars that DT is getting cheaper than the originals.  I can't find any other difference in them, but the visual flaws do make me wonder if they could possibly be structurally compromised.   Over the last year or two, I have used both types over and over for testing and I have never had one shatter on me.  Still, I'm not as comfortable selling the new jars.  I have a couple of cases of the Libbeys left & I use the others for testing and personal use.  If I continue to sell the Status jars, I will buy them elsewhere for my own peace of mind.

DT does still sell the Cube jars with the Libbey label and other Libbey products, so to me it just makes sense that the status type jars are probably just seconds/blemished Libbey jars that are rebranded with the Greenbrier label.  But who knows.

That makes a lot of sense! I haven't had any from DT that show imperfections though but maybe i'm just ignorant to it?.... I will compare them to the ones I ordered from candle science that should be here on Wed. If they seem structurally better in any way I will probably do as you suggest and pay the extra 68 cents for peace of mind :) 

On 11/5/2017 at 5:27 PM, MsRoni said:

I have both.  Dollar tree jars and Libbey Status jars from the jar store. DT has no lid. ,The jar store sells the lids by the case for the Libbey Status Jars and The lids fit snug on the libbey jars, from them. I tried the lid from TJS on the DT jar and thye could work but they are not as snug of a fit on the Dt jar. I  Have not had issue with either one.  But I want lids and I want the lids to be a snug fit so I am sticking with The Jar Store.  I bought a few of those DT jars when I was there for testing.  Both seem to be a heavy jar but the Libbey is better in my opinion.  The glass can get hot in my opinion if overwicked or maybe not the wick choice for the wax could cause that ???  I am new at this but I do believe the Libbey is better. 

I'm going to test the lids on the one from candle science and might try the jar store as well to continue to compare. I'm still in the testing phase and have spent so much money on DT jars because I thought they were going to be the ones I stuck with but now I'm having second thoughts :/. UGH 

If you are going to use the glass lids I found they were not  perfect but you ciuld probably make them work and get through what you do have and as you need to replace or buy more buy them together.🙂

Edited by MsRoni