Balsalm & Berry AAAAARRRRRGGGGGHHHHH

njcurley

Does anyone have a tried and true Balsalm & Berry?  I have now tried Lonestar and Aztec's versions and neither one are acceptable.  With Lonestar's there was absolutely, positively no HT (CT was awesome).  Aztec's was marginally better with HT, but not enough.  I even tried both at 10%!!

I am using Millennium wax with ECO wicks.

11 minutes ago, moonshine said:

It kinda of sounds like CS mistletoe could fit the bill for that Scent 🤷‍♀️

I have never used a balsam and berry before mistletoe has berry and pine and a super thrower in soy 

Oh that Mistletoe and the Merry Mistletoe from Candle Science are LOVELY scents! They're nice in soap too... I personally think the Holly Berry from CS has a "warmer" scent. I'm not sure that is the correct term but it almost has a honey like cast to the scent that just "feels" warm and inviting. Um... one MIGHT even mix Mistletoe and Holly Berry to create a really interesting scent that highlights the lovely qualities of BOTH scents... I'm just say'n... THAT combo MIGHT be REALLY AWESOME IF one were to mix at 60% Holly Berry and 40% Mistletoe... :ph34r:

Oh... but these are candles... Skip it and get the Christmas Hearth from CS and experience TRUE nirvana. (DAMN do I wish CS made Christmas Hearth in a soap safe scent)

Sponiebr: 
Executor of Bad Ideas, Sundry Services, and Professional Whipping Boy. 

• Like 1

Hows the Millennium wax working out for you ? Its so much more expensive that other soys ? Have you been using it for long ? Would you say most scents throw well

in that wax ? I bought a sample bag of their pillar wax for tarts and I don't get much of a CT :( 

• Like 1

Fillmore has a Spruce + Citrus ( I think thats what its called ?) I don't really get a whole lot of citrus , if any. They also carry a mulberry , maybe you can mix 50/50 ??

If not familiar with Balsam + berry so Im only guessing :( I love CS Mistletoe but I don't get any berry notes at all. I know many on here love CS Christmas Hearth 

but again I don't get any berry whatsoever and that one smells a light cough syrupy to me, but Im sure it changes in wax. I never did use it in candles but in melts

I picked up a slight cough syrup smell. Mistletoe is really nice though and very strong in wax I just don't think it a balsam berry scent IMHO :)

• Like 1

ooh!  I have some Mistletoe poured already.  Think I will burn it to get a feeling for its scent and then blend it with a berry scent.  Perfect idea!  And please don't make fun of me, but I have never blended before.

3 hours ago, Moonstar said:

Hows the Millennium wax working out for you ? Its so much more expensive that other soys ? Have you been using it for long ? Would you say most scents throw well

in that wax ? I bought a sample bag of their pillar wax for tarts and I don't get much of a CT :( 

I have been using it for a few months now and the only scent I am having issues with is the Balsam.  Everything else has had great hot and cold throw.  The price isn't too much of an issue.  I was using C3 before and with shipping it cost roughly $85 for a 50lb box.  The Millennium 50lb with shipping (and American Soy will give you a 10% discount for repeat orders) is roughly $100.  So only $15 more per 50 lb bag.  So it is a bit more but it pours and sets AMAZING!  I melt to 160, add fragrance and let it cool until it is slushy and 99% of my candles come out perfect, no second pours or heat gun action.  And I love working with the little pellets.  It does have a bit of an adhesion issue, but I have learned to embrace the wet spots because I love everything else about the wax.

1 hour ago, njcurley said:

ooh!  I have some Mistletoe poured already.  Think I will burn it to get a feeling for its scent and then blend it with a berry scent.  Perfect idea!  And please don't make fun of me, but I have never blended before.

I have been using it for a few months now and the only scent I am having issues with is the Balsam.  Everything else has had great hot and cold throw.  The price isn't too much of an issue.  I was using C3 before and with shipping it cost roughly $85 for a 50lb box.  The Millennium 50lb with shipping (and American Soy will give you a 10% discount for repeat orders) is roughly $100.  So only $15 more per 50 lb bag.  So it is a bit more but it pours and sets AMAZING!  I melt to 160, add fragrance and let it cool until it is slushy and 99% of my candles come out perfect, no second pours or heat gun action.  And I love working with the little pellets.  It does have a bit of an adhesion issue, but I have learned to embrace the wet spots because I love everything else about the wax.

Thanks :) This is where I get confused, the low heat to #. I heat my 464 to 180-183 , Im wondering why the Millennium can be heated to 160 ? I was worried the FO 

wouldn't bind to the melted wax.Ive really been wanting to try it. Thanks for reminding me about the 10% off repeat orders :) Is it their Balsam that gives you issues or

any suppliers ? The FO samples I really like was their Lemon Cheesecake  - Oatmeal Cookie  & Orange ( smells like a fresh squeezed orange) Fireside was just OK

Eucalyptus Lavender just OK . What I liked is that it doesn't need a very long cure time like 464? Thanks again for taking the time to answer my questions :) 

• Like 1

30 minutes ago, Moonstar said:

Thanks :) This is where I get confused, the low heat to #. I heat my 464 to 180-183 , Im wondering why the Millennium can be heated to 160 ? I was worried the FO 

wouldn't bind to the melted wax.Ive really been wanting to try it. Thanks for reminding me about the 10% off repeat orders :) Is it their Balsam that gives you issues or

any suppliers ? The FO samples I really like was their Lemon Cheesecake  - Oatmeal Cookie  & Orange ( smells like a fresh squeezed orange) Fireside was just OK

Eucalyptus Lavender just OK . What I liked is that it doesn't need a very long cure time like 464? Thanks again for taking the time to answer my questions :) 

Moonstar I have a crap load of millineum you can have to play with - just let me know 

I will be going next week to visit my grandma and she is in your area 

have you put one of the pillar votive melts in the warmer yet?

I have only done 1 Scent so far and cold and hot throw are very very good 

pouring more tonight and while I am at it I'm going to make some dreaded votives with it and see how they do.....I despise making votives 😂

• Like 1

9 hours ago, moonshine said:

Moonstar I have a crap load of millineum you can have to play with - just let me know 

pouring more tonight and while I am at it I'm going to make some dreaded votives with it and see how they do.....I despise making votives 😂

Id love to meet up somewhere !!!!!  My sons in  a day program In Dearborn TG. He goes three 1/2 days a week ... Tues - Wend & Thursday. What day + time will 

you be visiting your grandma ? Im more excited to meet you than any old wax lol ! 

• Like 1

Thanks BF, that's my next try if my blend isn't to my liking.

22 hours ago, Moonstar said:

I've had issues with both Lonestar and Aztec's Balsam, but I am going to try a blend of Mistletoe and Berry and see if I come up with something.  I haven't tried any of American Soy's fragrances yet, but I might try their Lemon Cheesecake, a few people have recommended it.  I was a little surprised by the 160 and honestly I sometimes miss the boat and it goes a little higher, but it seems to be working out great so far.

21 hours ago, moonshine said:

If you ever want to get rid of the Millinnium let me know, would love to give a fellow candle maker money :laugh2:.