What causes fingernailing in paraffin candles?

I have had this fingernailing problem since my very first candle, and I have asked for help in another thread previously. Someone very kindly gave me a formula of adding Stearic and Vybar to my straight paraffin wax, and it has resolved the issue.

I am revisiting this issue (and also out of "scientific" curiosity as to what causes this) because the formula is not possible for a container candle as the shrinkage is too unmanageable due to the stearic. I have tried at least 10 different variations of stearic and/or vybar proportions but nothing works - it seems that 1.5oz of stearic is a minimum, added together with Vybar.  The straight paraffin wax I am using is 138F MP (which I am given to understand is a mid MP paraffin, flexible for either pillars or containers), vary 7 - 9% FO.

The attached picture shows a formula with a reduced amount of stearic (1oz) and vybar, which has given rise to the fingernail white chunks again, and the powdery parts are where I used a skewer on some of them to see precisely what they are. They feel like wax, but slightly powdery. The ones I had poked on are near the surface, but some of these white chunks are sometimes large and deep inside the wax. 

I can't find anything on the internet that talks about this particular issue - doesn't seem to be one of the common candle faqs/issues. Great to get some insight as to what fingernailing is, and what causes it. 

fingernailing.jpg

Edited by Elysian
additional information

14 hours ago, Elysian said:

I have had this fingernailing problem since my very first candle, and I have asked for help in another thread previously. Someone very kindly gave me a formula of adding Stearic and Vybar to my straight paraffin wax, and it has resolved the issue.

I am revisiting this issue (and also out of "scientific" curiosity as to what causes this) because the formula is not possible for a container candle as the shrinkage is too unmanageable due to the stearic. I have tried at least 10 different variations of stearic and/or vybar proportions but nothing works - it seems that 1.5oz of stearic is a minimum, added together with Vybar.  The straight paraffin wax I am using is 138F MP (which I am given to understand is a mid MP paraffin, flexible for either pillars or containers), vary 7 - 9% FO.

The attached picture shows a formula with a reduced amount of stearic (1oz) and vybar, which has given rise to the fingernail white chunks again, and the powdery parts are where I used a skewer on some of them to see precisely what they are. They feel like wax, but slightly powdery. The ones I had poked on are near the surface, but some of these white chunks are sometimes large and deep inside the wax. 

I can't find anything on the internet that talks about this particular issue - doesn't seem to be one of the common candle faqs/issues. Great to get some insight as to what fingernailing is, and what causes it. 

fingernailing.jpg

I cant answer that question, but im curious what container that is? It looks eerily familiar with what I have been using for the last 3 years. I am curious how you are liking them if it is what I think it is

1 hour ago, Clear Black said:

I cant answer that question, but im curious what container that is? It looks eerily familiar with what I have been using for the last 3 years. I am curious how you are liking them if it is what I think it is

It's a screw top metal tin, about 3.5oz, 2.1" diameter. My guess would be that yours would be a push top lid? Where I am, I can't get hold of the push top lids, and I don't quite like the screw tops. The threads are messy to deal with when I am looking to top up just that little more for a smoother surface, at times when my judgement is out. Other than that, I quite like the size and the tin doesn't get too hot. 

Its been so long ago that anyone has discussed fingernailing of paraffin. Don't know if you can even get any of the old threads in a search.

I know about it because I used to get it on my paraffin pillars. But to me fingernailing is more of a vertical crescent shape on the outside surface of the candle sides. They look almost like someone gouged their fingernail over and over again up and down the sides of the pillar. 

The circular patterns you have in the pics look more like mini air pockets or wax seperation just under the surface. I'm not sure what causes that, could be a temperature sensitive issue or an additive issue or both. If you are having luck with your stearic/vibar combo I would continue using that.

Sorry I can't help you with it. I made pillars for a short time with paraffin so I never resolved my fingernailing issues. I went on to soy and palm pillars where I have never seen fingernailing. But each wax has its own pros and cons to work with.

• Like 1

Fingernailing, my nightmare!

Eventually I omitted the steric, added a bit of petrolatum and used 1 tsp pp (if it continued, just add a bit more) and it completely ceased in my containers. I will assume you are not doing pillars? Microcrystalline wax will also prevent this, but that has become very hard to find.

1 hour ago, Candybee said:

Its been so long ago that anyone has discussed fingernailing of paraffin. Don't know if you can even get any of the old threads in a search.

I know about it because I used to get it on my paraffin pillars. But to me fingernailing is more of a vertical crescent shape on the outside surface of the candle sides. They look almost like someone gouged their fingernail over and over again up and down the sides of the pillar. 

The circular patterns you have in the pics look more like mini air pockets or wax seperation just under the surface. I'm not sure what causes that, could be a temperature sensitive issue or an additive issue or both. If you are having luck with your stearic/vibar combo I would continue using that.

Sorry I can't help you with it. I made pillars for a short time with paraffin so I never resolved my fingernailing issues. I went on to soy and palm pillars where I have never seen fingernailing. But each wax has its own pros and cons to work with.

Indeed nothing came up in a search on this forum, but also nowhere on the internet strangely. Now this has made me even more curious on what these white chunks are...Thank you so much for replying though.

19 minutes ago, Flicker said:

Fingernailing, my nightmare!

Eventually I omitted the steric, added a bit of petrolatum and used 1 tsp pp (if it continued, just add a bit more) and it completely ceased in my containers. I will assume you are not doing pillars? Microcrystalline wax will also prevent this, but that has become very hard to find.

I am actually doing both containers and pillars with the same wax. I tried the lower MP opaque paraffin and really do not like the look of it. I really love the slight translucence of this problematic wax (besides, I have tons of it) and so am trying really hard to get it to work. I am getting there, but just really more curious about what the cause of these chunks are. By elimination, it's not mottle; from the earlier thread, a couple of folks pointed it as fingernailing, but Candybee doesn't think so...so. 

I have actually tested with stearic alone, vybar alone, beeswax alone, microcrystalline alone, micro with vybar, different proportions of all of the above, you name it, I have tried it (makes me just a little hysterical thinking of the 50 or so tins strewn all over my home *shudder*).

I get the same problem doing pillars. What works best really is stearic with vybar260, but the wax shrinks way too much for containers. I am nervous wondering if I am really the only person ever faced with this problem...:o

Can you still get petrolatum? Isn't that the same stuff they use in vaseline? Anyway, if you do try the petrolatum use sparingly until you get the right % as that stuff can cause your candles to smoke and soot. But it does soften up the paraffin making it closer to a container paraffin depending on how much you use.

I believe the candle mAkers store carries petrolatum.

https://thecandlemakersstore.com/candlemaker-s-petrolatum.html

If that is not a good choice, how about a blended wax that is naturally high in petrolatum, like 4630 or 4627? Or even a little liquid paraffin, like clear, refined lamp oil? None of those shrink, and would allow a little more flex in the paraffin wax.