464 better now?

I try to go back and read as much on here as I can when I have spare time, or when my wife is watching football. :) It looks like I started with 464 back in the spring where I'm now seeing everyone was having so many problems. I only had a 10lb bag. I tried a few candles and didn't like 464 so i moved on and tested other waxes. If you buy 464 now is it ok, or is the issue from spring just the new normal?  I pulled it out today to make some more samples adding 4693, but now I'm wondering if I have wax that's going to be different than if I order a new box next week. 

At this time, I will be testing every lot/dated box of 464 I get with every fragrance.  Just ordered 3 boxes and asked that they all be the same lot and date.  Others have said we should have been testing each new lot all along, but I never realized the soy could change.  I hate all this retesting but so glad I asked about this months ago when I noticed problems with my soy candle jars.  At first, I thought "did I buy my wicks from a different company?"  Then others started saying they, too, were having problems.  

GoldieMN

• 2 weeks later...

i'm just starting back in the candle game after about 10 years away.  Everything is different!  I just started playing with the  464 for tarts and clamshells, cold throw is ok, I'm hoping the hot throw will be much better after a decent cure.   The low melt point is a concern, so I'm thinking of making a mixture with some pillar wax - maybe the 416.

Would appreciate any thoughts or criticisms on this hare brained idea. 

On 9/30/2017 at 8:07 PM, Dorothy Mantooth said:

I try to go back and read as much on here as I can when I have spare time, or when my wife is watching football. :) It looks like I started with 464 back in the spring where I'm now seeing everyone was having so many problems. I only had a 10lb bag. I tried a few candles and didn't like 464 so i moved on and tested other waxes. If you buy 464 now is it ok, or is the issue from spring just the new normal?  I pulled it out today to make some more samples adding 4693, but now I'm wondering if I have wax that's going to be different than if I order a new box next week. 

I find it a nightmare with my testers. With cotton wicks it's been fine for me but with wood wicks it's involved a tonne of testing. I also use essential oils for the most part.

Pouring really slow helps but once you heat gun it then you get the frosting issue at least in my experience and it's worse with coloured candles. It's the wax I'm using right now while I continue to test the new Ecosoya Q210/220/230.

On 10/2/2017 at 6:58 PM, GoldieMN said:

At this time, I will be testing every lot/dated box of 464 I get with every fragrance.  Just ordered 3 boxes and asked that they all be the same lot and date.  Others have said we should have been testing each new lot all along, but I never realized the soy could change.  I hate all this retesting but so glad I asked about this months ago when I noticed problems with my soy candle jars.  At first, I thought "did I buy my wicks from a different company?"  Then others started saying they, too, were having problems.  

GoldieMN

I just received an order of GW464 from Candlewic and I will pour one tonight. 

At first glance ... the bags in the box did not have a date shown on them as with previous orders.  My wax from earlier in the year is much whiter and dry ... it could be from age, but I do not recall it having a slight oily feeling to it as this does, and this is definitely an light creamy/ivory color -- I don't mind it, but it does appear to be a bit different.

Edited by birdcharm

14 hours ago, LRed said:

Birdcharm, I received an order of GW464 from Candle Science this week. I'd be interested to see how it behaves. Please let us know how you make out with the one from Candlewic. Thanks!

So far it's at least looking the same ... I've got a nice, smooth top and can smell the scent.  I'm really curious to test burn this, I'll just have to put it out of my mind for a while!  :)

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...
On 10/21/2017 at 8:33 PM, LRed said:

Birdcharm, I received an order of GW464 from Candle Science this week. I'd be interested to see how it behaves. Please let us know how you make out with the one from Candlewic. Thanks!

Okay ... I'm following up with some good news as far my test candle is concerned. 

It's a 12-oz. Libbey Status jar (3" diameter) with a #2 cotton square braid wick.  I melted 9 ounces of the GW464 I just received that was undated and seemed more moist with more of an ivory tone than my previous orders, added 1.5 teaspoon of stearic acid, 1/2-ounce of scent (on the generous side).   It almost reached a full melt pool after the first four hours of burning, but not quite and got there by the second burn session.  The scent seems to be doing alright and the candle seems very nice overall.

• Like 2

• 3 weeks later...