"Proper" way to blend FO's?

FarmCandles

Howdy!

Been a while since I have posted, its been a very busy year here at the Farm. Now that the cooler weather is coming, I can focus my attention back into the "scented" world. In the meantime I did learn that curing candles for weeks and months really does make all the difference. ;)  I have been too busy to make any since my last batch, and what do you know, after putting some melts I made into a melter, they smelled great!

I looked around, but couldnt find an answer to my question. If there is a relevant thread, feel free to point me in that direction. What is the "proper" way to blend FO's, to make your own custom scent? For instance, do you use blotter strips? Or Im thinking something like putting one drop at a time of each FO on something like a napkin or paper plate (anything absorbent), and working from there? Adding additional drops as needed.

It seems like there would be an efficient procedure one could use. Maybe Im just overthinking this?

Then, once you find a combo that you really like, do you make a large batch of the scent and store it in a clean jar? Or do you just leave the individual scents as is, and combine them when you go to pour?

Any help and incite would be appreciated.

I learned on this forum to use Q-tips. Dip a Q-tip into each scent you want to use, then put the Q-tips in a baggie.  I use the snack size. 

Say you wanted a Lavender Vanilla, but twice as much vanilla as Lavender.  Then dip 2 Q-tips in the vanilla and 1 into Lavender.  

I have blended a few lately and I write my 'recipes' down in a notebook...the old fashioned way.  :)  

Sometimes I don't mess with any of that and just add a little of a fragrance to another fragrance already in the melted wax, and see how it smells and hope for the best.  :)

50 minutes ago, GailC said:

Sometimes I don't mess with any of that and just add a little of a fragrance to another fragrance already in the melted wax, and see how it smells and hope for the best.  :)

This is what I do - only I usually make my blends in my FO cups before adding to my product. I LOVE LOVE LOVE blending. It is so much fun. :) 

I do what Gail does with the q tips and after I know what ratio it is, hopefully I haven't forgotten and go and write it down.

I blend as I make each batch as needed, but that is a great idea I like of what you said by having the blended oils put away already blended all waiting to be poured...  You can do what ever is easiest.

Trappeur

1 hour ago, FarmCandles said:

Then, once you find a combo that you really like, do you make a large batch of the scent and store it in a clean jar? Or do you just leave the individual scents as is, and combine them when you go to pour?

If it's a blend you think you will use often, or add to your line, this would be a great way to do it. 

I rarely repeat my blends unless I absolutely fall head over heals in love with it (I can't only think of a - very small - handful I've blended that fit that bill) and this is how I do it. I try and make a 1lb blend of it if I love it that much. 

I've been blending my own custom blends for so long I tend to know what will go well with what. Now I just simply take off the lids of the FO bottles and hold them all up to my nose and sniff. If I like the way they smell together I try out a test product. Sorry but I've done the q-tip thing and that just doesn't work for me. I can smell much better by holding the bottle to my nose. However, its really not a good idea to sniff directly OOB but I end up doing it anyway because it works best for me. I have come up with several fragrance blends that I continue to use today.

@Candybee, I've held two bottles up to my nose before.  :)  Then thought, yeah, that will work!  

Sometimes I come up with a blend just to empty a bottle.  I had a little Butter Pecan but not enough for a batch, so I added Cinnamon Stick to it and call it Cinnamon Pecan.  I won't make any more because I don't have any more of that FO and like other nutty FO's better so won't order more.

I blended Gingerbread with Pumpkin, because I didn't like the Gingerbread all by itself and neither did anyone else.  I just blend a little at a time, and realized it was awfully spicy, so decided to add a little cake to sweeten it a bit.

I added Vanilla to Marshmallow because the Marshmallow seemed so weak.  Customers still say it smells like Marshmallow.

That's another reason I blend...to improve a fragrance so I like it better.

• Like 1

Thank you! This is exactly the answer I was looking for!

I like the idea of using q-tips in a bag. I will have to try that. And I agree, write everything down. I have this horrible habit of keeping it in my head, then forgetting everything. Im thinking a self adhesive label with the recipe written down, stuck to the bag would be even better. That way, you can come back to it in a couple days, especially if you cant make up your mind on similar blends. For example, if you have 3 different blends that are similar but different, and you want to wait until your head and nose are clear.

My thoughts on storing the blend in a clean jar just comes from the idea of efficiency.