Square containers for Soy Candles

Jbruza

So I know that you have to have the right wick in order to have an even burn along with other variables. Has anyone ever used square jars for creating a soy candle? So long as my wick has a hot enough burn for hte 3 inch diameter should I be in the clear? I'm using GW444 with fragrance oil from lonestar- I'm about to make my first batch and got square jars to use but I haven't seen people using square glass much for candle making so I'm concerned it's not a good idea?

Also, I did a smaller tested in jars that I had at the house with some of my essential oils ( not a great throw, but I made a few mistakes)- Anyway, After burning, the soy looks rough and frosted.. Is this normal for soy wax? 

Hi,

My two recently-used soy waxes are GW444 & 464 (still trying to decide which one works best for me, I was primarily using 444 until recently giving 464 a try) -- the rough & frosted look after burning is expected.  With e/o's, I'd save my money and use them for other things, such as diffusers, etc. where there is not heat to mess with them.  But, you may have good luck with them, although I think I'd blend with a f/o for back-up (for instance, I'd like to try cinnamon e/o with a good vanilla f/o). 

I did a square Libbey jar last year and used the biggest wick I had ... no, it didn't work!  As much as the melt pool tried to get into the corners, it just didn't go.  I had to switch to two smaller wicks about an inch apart in the center -- that way each wick created it's own melt pool, reaching into the corners.  I learned that the square jar needs to be envisioned as though it were two candles side by side. 

Birdcharm that's great information! Thanks for your insight! I'm going to try with my single CD wicks for my first test run but for my second I will definitely give it a try using the double wick method you mentioned. On the bright side- If this ends up being the case, it will give the candles a much more unique look and feel :)

Thanks! 

On 9/22/2017 at 12:57 PM, Jbruza said:

Birdcharm that's great information! Thanks for your insight! I'm going to try with my single CD wicks for my first test run but for my second I will definitely give it a try using the double wick method you mentioned. On the bright side- If this ends up being the case, it will give the candles a much more unique look and feel :)

Thanks! 

You should make them both at the same time and test burn at the same time. That way you can watch the progress and record notes of 1v2 wicks.