Can this be fixed?

CHB

Hoping some of you have run into this problem and maybe have a solution. I recently poured and cured candles and unnoticed two have wicks that are off center. Can these be saved or do they need to be trashed? Thanks! 

1 hour ago, GoldieMN said:

@Trappeur  I wondered about "chipping out and pouring back in".  Wouldn't you still have to remelt?  And can they still be saved by adding a bit more fragrance oil?  I know, how much is "a bit"?

Goldie

Yes, you would still have to remelt if chipped out....sigh....You sound like me thinking should I add a bit more once remelted....lol..I probably would myself being I use 6%...but you would still have to bring that temperature back up to add a little more scent.  Now that I think about it, I would take the chipped out wax and just remelt at the lowest temperature so it turns to liquid and pour back in a new jar at the lowest temperature.  Granted, you probably won't have smooth slick tops or maybe ugly tops...but that's very easy to take care of just with a slight 2'nd over pour on top....Don't know what others would do, but that's what I would do.

Trappeur

8 minutes ago, CHB said:

Great ideas! Yes, I think I can make a channel and scoot it over. Will give it a try tonight. Thanks!!

That's not a good idea....if you try and do that which I don't think you will even be able to if those wicks are secured down because you are moving that wick over onto the glass bottom that has wax on it.  You will have a floating wick.  So I don't recommend that at all.

Trappeur

I should have specified. Sorry for any confusion.

If the wick tab is secured on the bottom, and it just came uncentered on the top while cooling scooting the top back to center should not be a problem. I have to do it on occasion when things get knocked around on the cooling racks. I have tested mine with no issues. Just make sure the wick is well secured and taut after you move it and remelt the top.

Oh, I'm sorry for my confusion!

Sometimes I type faster than I think.

But you are 100 % correct TTayle as I have had to do that tons of times myself positioning that wick back to the center where I originally had it after it has hardened...usually I always catch it b/4 it has totally hardened and I'm able to move that wick no problem...but there have been a few times I wasn't so lucky.   All the tricks of the trade.....sigh....

Trappeur

• Like 1