Flame Height

CHB

Hello everyone! I'm having trouble wicking WSP Perfect Pumpkin. At the beginning of the burn (maybe burns 2 and 3), the flame height is short... about 1/2 inch. I've attached a pic. It does not extinguish itself and the flame height gets taller as it progresses towards the bottom of the container. My question is... if the flame height is 1/2 inch but is still giving a good HT and seems to catch up as it burns its way down, is the flame height a problem? What is ideal flame height? 1 inch? 

Thanks in advance for your help. 

IMG_7478.JPG

Thank you for your response. I agree that it is probably struggling. I guess I am wondering if it is still giving good hot throw and not extinguishing itself, what are the major problems with a struggling wick? 

2 hours ago, birdcharm said:

I think the flame on your candle looks as though it's struggling ... for an example of flame heights, you can see here in regard to ECO wicks:  wick chart

That is a great link!  I've been tracking weight after each burn so I think I can figure out if they are consuming at a rate they suggest. The flame height chart is interesting as well. 

I'm not certain I understand the chart. A flame size of 2+ inches which is listed on some of the eco sizes seems like a torch to me. Is this flame size without fragrance oil?  I'm sure I'm missing something. Sorry for my amateur questions. ?

3 hours ago, birdcharm said:

I think the flame on your candle looks as though it's struggling ... for an example of flame heights, you can see here in regard to ECO wicks:  wick chart

Am I e only one who thinks those flame heights on the chart linked are grossly high? 2.2 inches for eco10 and above? 

2 hours ago, TallTayl said:

Am I e only one who thinks those flame heights on the chart linked are grossly high? 2.2 inches for eco10 and above? 

I don't use Eco wicks, so I can't answer, but in my opinion, it seems a bit high.  For instance, with HTP 104, the estimated wick height is supposed to be 1.62 inches ... my guess is that this changes somewhat based on the wax used or how the candle is burned.  I normally keep my wicks trimmed to 1/4" or so -- this (obviously) keeps the flame down just a bit, but if I didn't trim, I'm guessing I'd most likely see a 1.5"+ flame.

2 hours ago, CHB said:

Thank you for your response. I agree that it is probably struggling. I guess I am wondering if it is still giving good hot throw and not extinguishing itself, what are the major problems with a struggling wick? 

I think it has to do with the performance of the candle ... you want it to do what it's supposed to do properly with a nice flame, melt pool, etc. and a healthy flame is part of the whole package.  A small candle with a small flame is expected -- a larger candle with a small flame would be out of sorts just as a small candle with a large flame would be, imo.

I have been trying to not trim my wicks when testing since that's what most customers do (including myself before I started making them). I've gotten to the point on my other scents that I don't have to trim even during power burns and the sides don't get too hot. It took a long time, but finally got it. This pumpkin one is giving me fits though. 

Question - If a flame is small (1/2 inch or so) but there is an almost full melt pool, is there risk that the fragrance would burn off before the wax is combusted? 

When I was still making candles, my goal was to get a perfect burn without ever trimming. I actually succeeded with several scents. Mostly I used htp wicks and 4630 paraffin. Never succeeded with Eco wicks. I also had some success with Peak's cottons and with lx wicks. Premier wicks worked for me too. I like a flame between 1\2 and 1 " tall. I used jelly jars about 2 1\2" in diameter.

I am using 11 oz libbey tumblers with IGI 6006 wax, 7% fragrance oil and LX wicks. I am really happy with the lighter fragrance oils but I'm still working on some of the heavier ones. They are safe burning and throw great but the flame is a little weak. 

20 minutes ago, CHB said:

I am using 11 oz libbey tumblers with IGI 6006 wax, 7% fragrance oil and LX wicks. I am really happy with the lighter fragrance oils but I'm still working on some of the heavier ones. They are safe burning and throw great but the flame is a little weak. 

I had the same experience. In one case I had to cut my fo percentage down to 4.5% and that worked. Throw was still good enough. On others I switched to J50 and premier wicks and that worked. Some I gave up on because I never could get them to wick properly.

On 9/9/2017 at 6:35 PM, TallTayl said:

I agree, that seems way too high of a flame height. 

Maybe I'm the only one, but even though that flame in the pic does look a little small, to me it seems okay, especially if/since the OP said it doesn't extinguish and burns clean, cleans up the sides, has a good hot throw, etc.,