Seal for Wax on envelope

Anyone here know someone who makes or sells the metal Insignia/Seals that you press into wax that has been dripped onto an envelope or sometimes a diploma?

I have found some that are the size of a penny, but I am in need of a much larger one, if possible the size of a silver dollar with my initials on it.

A friend of mine said some stationary shops make custom rubber stamps that can be used for this but I haven't found a stationary shop which does this in my area.

Does anyone here know where I can find something like this or perhaps you make these items yourself?

I found one extensive website, but it is all the way in the UK.

Thank you for any help in advance!

-Luke-

Try Micheal's, in the wedding department. I've got one with a rose.

If you want something custom made, try some local print shops. They get dies made for foil stamping. These generally run somewhere around $50 per square inch, or some sort.

Try running a search for "photo engraving", that's the process they use to make foil stamping and embosing dies. You could use photoshop or some such to make up what you want, then E-Mail it to them. I'd suggest making it with L C R overlapping, in a round disc.

BTW. It takes practice to use those things. You ain't gonna get it right the first time. At least I didn't.

You have to drip the wax on, let it cool for a couple of seconds, then stamp it. Wait too long, you won't get a good impression, not long enough and all the wax sticks to the stamp, rather than the paper.

I got mine here:http://www.oldschoolseals.com/wax_seals.cfm

Not as large as you wanted, though; mine was only the size of a quarter. Think I paid somewhere between $35 and $40 to get it made (wooden handle). What I wanted to do was make custom emblems for my candles. I poured wax into a pan about 1/4" thick, let it firm up some and then used a small round cookie cutter (about 1 1/4" diameter) with scolloped (is that a word?) edges to make my shape, then imprinted my seal in the center of that. Turned out pretty well, although the letters didn't end up being "raised" as much as I would have liked.

I actually have a seal that I have occasionally used on letters so I guess I have the hang of doing it as well as anyone else to some extent...so we will see how I do with a larger stamper. :)

Michael thank you for the search suggestion "Photo engraving." I wasn't even sure where to begin my search and I was just looking for "wax seals" and "stationary" wasn't coming up with much. lol.

thank you very much for the suggestions. I'll go check the yellow pages for this and search the net.

Carol that website is amazing. the only place that I had found that does custom only made them a quarter size at the most, but these people will make them as large as you would like or so they claim.

Thank you very much for the reference.

Thanks for the info. I was just talking to my daughter and a friend last night about needing one to seal some tissue paper. I have a small one that took practice to use, but I need something special now. I could just use some kind of wax cut out, but since it needs to go through the snail mail, it needs to be that sturdy sealing wax. Donita

Uh...I really have no response to this.

Craig it is nice to meet you.

I will umm have to tell uhh Michael all about this funny little incident when I actually uhh...meet him. lol.

I've lost my mind.

Btw. I did call Michaels Craig, (I'm just practicing getting names straight now) and honestly Craig they carry some of the little penny sized seals but that is all. Too bad. I like Michaels, but it was worth a try eh Craig. :)

Uh...I really have no response to this.

Craig it is nice to meet you.

I will umm have to tell uhh Michael all about this funny little incident when I actually uhh...meet him. lol.

I've lost my mind.

Btw. I did call Michaels Craig, (I'm just practicing getting names straight now) and honestly Craig they carry some of the little penny sized seals but that is all. Too bad. I like Michaels, but it was worth a try eh Craig. :)

ROFL.

When I got mine, they had some larger ones, I seem to recall, but that was about two years ago...

Craig, actually. LOL

Micheal's was the name of the store I was telling you to look at. :)

:laugh2: :laugh2: LOL Craig! Maybe you're "Michael" when you're headed straight for their hips like chocolate or leavin' 'em wanting more like popcorn! :P j/k

I was at AC Moore yesterday and they have the larger ones. Don't know if you have one of those nearby or not.

The link for making a wax seal out of a button was a really original idea. Something like that might work. I'd have to find a button I liked though. But I find that i'm typically a person who likes buttons (I'm not fond of zippers, I always jam them) so I probably wouldn't be too hard.

I wonder if they make large buttons with initials on them...something to check out.

candleman I'm glad you posted that site becaue it was where I looked originally but I'm in ohio, its in the UK and I wasn't sure if it was reliable. I mean it looked like it, but if something goes wrong, its a little harder to call and ship stuff overseas.

Again good suggestions. I'll have to take a look at those.

Thanks guys.

I wonder how to make the wax for dripping?? what is this wax?

also, anyone tried to heat up the stamp and melt into a pillar, I had thought about ordering my logo and trying it, but never got around to it.

I wonder how to make the wax for dripping?? what is this wax?

It's called parafin and it takes millions of years to make. First you have to kill off all the dinosaurs. Then bury them deep in the ground until they liquify.

Then you find a lot of really strange people in Texas. Take the 3 strangest ones and make them President. The rest you send out to drill holes through which you extract the dinosaur juice.

Then you get a group of even stranger people with funny white coats and wire rimmed glasses to change the black liquid into a white solid material... this is then called wax.

Seriously, though, you can use any wax. They do have some made specially for this that you use something like a hot glue gun to melt.