Sub for hurricane mold

:cry2: Ok, this may be a stupid question, but I want to try my hand at embedding a photo in a hurricane candle!

The problem is, I don't currently own a hurricane mold. So, are there any substitute household items that could be used to accomplish this? Or, is this just a crazy notion??

Smooth sided coffee tin...

Smooth sided flour jar/container... (this is what I made my first mini-hurricane in)

Ice bucket for chilling a wine bottle..

Depending on how large you want it, if there are no inner lips for the candle to catch on, use a small 3gallon bucket like you would to mop a floor. This will be a large hurricane but it would work too...

Pretty much anything that has smooth sides from the bottom to the top and it close to seamless.

I think donita or someone mentioned once that a mortons salt box (the round one) was her first hurricane mold.

Something like this might work.

Someone else might have a better suggestion...

-Luke-

I do own a tall narrow mold that came with a candle making kit I received for Christmas. It's not the appropriate diameter for trying to embed a photo in a hurricane; I'm guessing it's about 2 1/2 - 3" x 6". Also, it's plastic. Tall and skinny!

OK.....here is what you need to know. For embedding a photo, the mold should be made of thin tin. That is what works best for me. The reason for this is......when you pour your wax in and be sure to let it cool to 190...no higher....put in your picture and push it against the mold.....hold an ice cube in a cloth on the picture and if the mold is thick or made of plastic, you will not get enough cool transference from the ice cube to quickly hold that picture in place. Does this make sense. I have tried several ways, and the one that always works for me is the tin mold. I also have the metal bucket thing that Ducky has and I tried it. It doesn't works as well and has brush marks inside. I used that mold in an experiment that I posed a few days ago about a two part hurricane mold. It worked for that because I was using a different technique. One that will make just a round tube to be placed over a candle (I call it a Candle Cocoon or Candle Cozy) or for a very large heavy hurricane that you don't want to pick up. Here is the url for my standard instructions for embedding a photo cane. Hope this can help you. If not...let me know. Donita

http://tinyurl.com/dmc69

I reviewed your slide show...very nice! I'll keep that in mind about using only the thin tin. It only makes perfect sense! Thanks again. I appreciate it and hopefully will be sending you a photo when I make a hurricane! Hope it turns out half as good as yours! :rolleyes2