I have a stupid question....

I have a stupid question.  You can all laugh if you want to as I have been myself.....cause you would think for all the  years I've been making candles I would know the answer but really don't.  

My scale has options on how to measure things.  You have to pick what ever unit for measuring and work it from there.

One option is for lb and oz

Another is for fl. oz (fluid)

Another is for g. (grams)

Another for ml (not sure what that is? lol....)I would think milligrams?

Another for oz.

NOW.....all these years I have been making candles I either go with the lb and oz or just oz. .......Are these the correct ones?

NOW the other question?  Yep I admit I must be a real dummy!  What in heck is the difference between fl. oz and just plain oz?  An ounce is an ounce whether it is liquid or solid.   Should I have been going with the fl.oz option?    lol

Trappeur 

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Moonstar said:

Im sure TT will chime in soon. The way understand it is FL oz is a measurement of volume while the other is a measurement of weight. 

Ding ding ding you are a winner!

Fluid volume measurements can be way, way off as fluids have different densities. Water is more dense than oils, which is why oils float on water. Their densities are measured as "specific gravity". 

Water has a specific gravity of zero. Oils have lower specific gravities which is why a cup of an oil might not weigh 8 oz. a cup of water at sea level weighs 8 oz. a cup of liquid salad oil will weigh less than 8 oz. you'll see liquids with a specific gravity listed somewhere on the certificate of analysis. This really helps when buying so you know if you are being shorted oils!!!

for candles i use oz, or lb and oz. when making bath products I use grams. Not sure why I never just switched out to grams for everything. It is much easier. 

• Like 6

21 minutes ago, Moonstar said:

@TallTayl  I knew you'd see Trapeurs post. :) Are you a teacher, you always explain things so clearly . Thanks for chiming in :) 

I swear to God Moonstar......I was going to ask that EXACTLY of Tall Tayle......!

Yes thankyou both.....So I've been doing right using those options! Phew!

Trappeur

• Like 3

2 hours ago, Trappeur said:

NOW.....all these years I have been making candles I either go with the lb and oz or just oz. .......Are these the correct ones?

Trappeur 

This is the option I use when making candles, and go to gram when making soap. 

Other have answered the FL oz vs Oz question for you. :) Not a stupid question. When you always use 1 or 2 of the options for years and years, then there really may not be a need to know what the others are for. Especially if the ones you use work just fine for your application. 

• 3 weeks later...
On 8/4/2017 at 9:05 AM, Trappeur said:

I have a stupid question.  You can all laugh if you want to as I have been myself.....cause you would think for all the  years I've been making candles I would know the answer but really don't.  

My scale has options on how to measure things.  You have to pick what ever unit for measuring and work it from there.

One option is for lb and oz

Another is for fl. oz (fluid)

Another is for g. (grams)

Another for ml (not sure what that is? lol....)I would think milligrams?

Another for oz.

NOW the other question?  Yep I admit I must be a real dummy!  What in heck is the difference between fl. oz and just plain oz?  An ounce is an ounce whether it is liquid or solid.   Should I have been going with the fl.oz option?    lol

Trappeur 

Trappeur ... I am so glad to see you asking something that has obviously been a little scary to ask. It makes me feel relieved LOL I look up to all of you wonderful members for advice and never once have I felt too afraid to ask. your advice has always been well meaning and friendly ... I love this website. there is no secrecy or nastiness. I wonder how many years and how many candles have burned , with all of the advice given ?!