Test update on m/p soap design

birdcharm

ns-whitebar-clam1.JPG.31c25b967ebc870b7f5692f664671d1d.JPG

I have an update on this bar of soap made with a no-sweat m/p. 

When making this, I made one with the addition of the clam shell and one plain, then tested both of them.

The plain bar is fine!  The one with the clam shell attached was fine until the bar wore down and the clam came off -- then there was a pebbly feeling to the top of the bar where the clam shell had been ... not good!  I'm wondering if it had to do with attaching the clam soap with rubbing alcohol.  I think that might be what caused the fine grainy feel after the clam soap detached.

Edited by birdcharm
  • Like 1

Hmm... This is a commercial syndet M&P soap base? If so, I'm not sure how IPA would react with syndets... I mean obviously the water in the IPA would react with the soap and that's what gives you the binding action, the alcohol just helps evaporate the water more quickly.

This kinda reminds me of a HP batch I made when I was just getting into the fluid HP game. I had a batch seize up (well it turned into dough) in the pot and I added 70% IPA to the mix and thinned it out enough to pour it. Yeah it shrank up like a shrunken head but it had this weird pebbly grain to the soap as well. It was all throughout the soap too. Now that was real soap, so I'm thinking that the alcohol does something, maybe like separation in the soap due to the SF content, as oil and alcohol don't mix. Those areas where there was alcohol become dehydrated and denser and therefore more compact than the areas where there was no alcohol... 

I dunno, but it seems to make sense...   You could use a little melted M&P to attach decorations, as I know KrazyKelly does some that way. 

HTH,

Sponiebr:Executor bad somethinrnuther.... 

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
On 8/7/2017 at 7:33 PM, Sponiebr said:

... Hmm... This is a commercial syndet M&P soap base? ..... You could use a little melted M&P to attach decorations, as I know KrazyKelly does some that way ...

This is SFIC soap base ... includes ... Coconut Oil, RSPO Palm Oil, Safflower Oil, Glycerine (kosher, of vegetable origin), Purified Water, Sodium Hydroxide, Sorbitol, Propylene Glycol (made with Vegetable Glycerine), Sorbitan oleate, Oat protein, Titanium Dioxide,

I think your idea of using some melted M/P to attach the decoration sounds like something worth trying ... thank you!