Longevity of soy container candles

So lets say I have my fair coming up in November. 2 fairs actually (3 days of selling) The way I order my containers is 500, 240 and 150 respectively per container type at a time to get bulk pricing. I dont know if I should make all of each candle, because lets face it, I HIGHLY DOUBT I will sell 900 candles in 3 days lol But...lets say I have 100 candles left over and my next fair would be in mid-April. Lets say for arguments sake, those extras will be kept in my cellar which stays about 65* and lids sealed and in boxes. EDIT: They are soy 444 if it matters. 8% fo

Can I expect those to be "sellable" 5 months later? Or are they a write off if I dont sell at Thanksgiving fair.  TTIA

I ask this because Ive had tester candles I never got too or burned complety and wax tarts that I made 7 months ago and have kept sealed and in boxes and they smell better than when I first made them. Im just not sure if and when soy tends to start losing its luster if that makes sense

Edited by Clear Black

I use 464 soy wax, and the one consistent issue I seem to have with my candles as they age is frosting on the tops. I keep them stored in boxes with the lids on, but the frosting happens nonetheless.

Otherwise, TallTayl is right...that bit of aging does seem to make the scents stronger.

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, olives said:

I use 464 soy wax, and the one consistent issue I seem to have with my candles as they age is frosting on the tops. I keep them stored in boxes with the lids on, but the frosting happens nonetheless.

Otherwise, TallTayl is right...that bit of aging does seem to make the scents stronger.

I dont dye my candles so you can hardly notice the frosting if at all. The 444 melts I made 7 months ago were bright red and pink when first made, the color has all but faded out and whats left you can just see all the frosting on them. Thats when I decided to try them without color and I liked the look of the natural wax so kept going that route.

1 hour ago, TallTayl said:

A well-made candle is like a fine cheese or wine. They do improve with age. 

As long as they are covered they tend to be just fine in my opinion.

As stated above, the ones I made a while back still smell great, maybe better. I just wasnt sure if that was normal or not so thanks TT :) 

6 hours ago, Clear Black said:

I dont dye my candles so you can hardly notice the frosting if at all. The 444 melts I made 7 months ago were bright red and pink when first made, the color has all but faded out and whats left you can just see all the frosting on them. Thats when I decided to try them without color and I liked the look of the natural wax so kept going that route.

That's great, glad to hear that frosting isn't an issue for you. I don't dye my candles either, and still deal with frosting after a month or so with certain scents. Frustrating!