Best scents to start with

I'm sure that this has been addressed in this forum infinity x 2. There are so many fragrances out there it can be overwhelming for someone who is just starting out. But what are the best scents to start selling? I'm looking for maybe starting with 5 or 10 scents to carry all the time and then doing 5 or 10 rotating ones as the seasons change. I'm sure this changes regionally as well too. Any help would be appreciated. 

When I first started I wanted to cover all the 'types' of scents so I made sure I had florals, fresh/clean, bakery, spice, woodsy, aromatic, etc.

It also helped to set up jars on my display risers so I could see just how many rows of scents fit a riser. With 2 risers I can fit 12-14 scents so that is what I made.

Also take into account your target customer, season, and region you are in. If you don't have the answers to all the scents you need pick ones that you think will sell or check out the most popular sellers on a suppliers site to get ideas.

When I debut a scent if it doesn't sell for several months I switch it out. If I am stuck with a scent that just bombed and didn't sell I would mark the jar down and sell at a deep discount to sell off unsellable stock to keep from losing my initial cost of goods and to make room for more or new stock.

Keep track of what your top sellers are for every year and keep those and try new ones each year. Scent preferences change from year to year and what is popular this year may not move the next.

Edited by Candybee
  • Like 1

Lol

I have a couple I do this with - one being mistletoe CS - it's in my Michigan collection as northwoods and during the holidays I have it in the holiday collection as mistletoe kisses - my sister still argues with me it's a different oil ?

It does work 

• Like 2

Just starting out as in you're new to candlemaking? 

If you're new, concentrate on scents you like, but maybe go with those that might wick easier. Citrus-based scents could be tricky in terms of wicking in the sense that you might want to try to work around the fuel smell they can sometimes give. Some patchoulis are tough wickers. Florals might not be up your alley, but I'm guessing you're male when I say that. Lavender, though,  usually isn't problematic and it's not entirely a chic scent. Sandalwood might work without having to adjust wicking and some colognes or perfume types might do the same etc.