wicking status jar

Hi , I have been having trouble wicking an XL Metro jar 385g ( very close to USA Libbey Status jar 12.25oz) . I have tried HTP XL100  and double wicking with 2x CDN10.  The HTP xl100 was too big ... the 2x CDN10 were way too small. The jar takes so much wax , it's expensive trying to get even close. Should I persevere single wicking , double or even triple wick?  Am only able to buy HTP or CDN wicks. Any advice would greatly be appreciated. I have a friend who really wants me to make some for her!  ( the internal top diameter is 83mm / 3.26" )

Edited by obsessed

I would test using 1/2 or even 1/3 of the wax. It will give you an idea of how that candle will behave further down. Tall containers are very challenging to wick, if they look good at the top, they may quickly look not so great further down the container. 

I did not not see what wax, fragrance, colorants, etc you are using in this jar. 

That jar (status) only needs 1 wick.  In that size jar using 464 I use 1 (cd14) and some cd 12's.  If you can get thecdns I would start out with either a cdn 10 or cdn 12.  If you can do three testers side by side I would do the cdn 10, 12 and  14.  But that is with not knowing what wax you use.....like I said I use 464.

Can you get the htp 83's?  If you can try starting with that wick.....(still need to know what wax your using)

Trappeur

• Like 1

21 hours ago, TallTayl said:

I would test using 1/2 or even 1/3 of the wax. It will give you an idea of how that candle will behave further down. Tall containers are very challenging to wick, if they look good at the top, they may quickly look not so great further down the container. 

I did not not see what wax, fragrance, colorants, etc you are using in this jar. 

17 hours ago, Trappeur said:

That jar (status) only needs 1 wick.  In that size jar using 464 I use 1 (cd14) and some cd 12's.  If you can get thecdns I would start out with either a cdn 10 or cdn 12.  If you can do three testers side by side I would do the cdn 10, 12 and  14.  But that is with not knowing what wax you use.....like I said I use 464.

Can you get the htp 83's?  If you can try starting with that wick.....(still need to know what wax your using)

Trappeur

Sorry guys ... I made  1 x C3 with 8% Lemongrass/Persian Lime F/O ( double wicked with CDN14 - have previously tried 2x CDN10 and they never touched the sides!)  AND also made a 464 with CDN24 single wick . This time I took your advice and heated both to 185f added oil  at thAT temp or near , then poured at around 160f. The CDN24 was recommended for that jar by the wholesaler ... they both have an awesome cold throw and are lovely and smooth. Not sure how they will compare when burning. I have noticed my C3 wax has fizzy looking bubbles sometimes when it gets down the jar and it's hot. Is this normal? I don't remember it happening before. I really liked 464 and notice a lot of you favour it . i was a bit dubious to try it as I thought it would get funny tops ... but happy so far. WHen I find out how to reduce my photos to attach on here , I will post some! LOL 

Edited by obsessed

My new cases of C3 have been very challenging to wick. My wax flakes seem soft and almost damp, as opposed to dry and crispy like the past few years.

I have been posting wick tests to demo. 

http://www.craftserver.com/topic/110500-wax-and-wick-tests-c3-round-3-8-oz-by-volume-tins/#comment-1038736

http://www.craftserver.com/topic/109993-wax-andwick-test-1b-c3-soywax-part-2-upgrades-to-small-wicks/#comment-1033155

http://www.craftserver.com/topic/109672-wax-and-wick-test-1-c3-soy-wax/#comment-1029518

• Like 1

On 5/28/2017 at 0:07 AM, TallTayl said:

My new cases of C3 have been very challenging to wick. My wax flakes seem soft and almost damp, as opposed to dry and crispy like the past few years.

I have been posting wick tests to demo. 

http://www.craftserver.com/topic/110500-wax-and-wick-tests-c3-round-3-8-oz-by-volume-tins/#comment-1038736

http://www.craftserver.com/topic/109993-wax-andwick-test-1b-c3-soywax-part-2-upgrades-to-small-wicks/#comment-1033155

http://www.craftserver.com/topic/109672-wax-and-wick-test-1-c3-soy-wax/#comment-1029518

TT I am very impressed with your wick tests! I am going to do some ... I have found that CDN's from different wholesalers all burn differently ...something I was not aware of. Does the cold weather affect the burn also? It seems that what was working is now really slow ... I'm on a facebook group here and a lot of people are telling everyone to wick up in winter. Is this true? thanks x

I don't wick by season. How can anyone possibly know when the customer will burn the candle? My people buy a years worth at a time. I also make hundreds at a time during the slow season to have enough. 

I keep my house cold year round. My neighbors feel cold at 75*F. You just can't predict the ambient variables. 

Heck, my friends in the mountains with thinner, more dry air get different burns than I do at low altitude and heavy, humidity laden air. That changes burn and throw too.

the moral of my C3 story is that soy wax changes from lot# to lot#. You have to know your wax to choose a good wick.