Wax and Wick tests - C3 Round 3 - 8 oz (by Volume) Tins

TallTayl

Here is the start of the C3 wax and wick tests for C3. I have noticed this case of C3 in my shop seems to not burn as previous cases have. It is an excellent reminder to TEST EVERY NEW CASE OF WAX EVERY TIME.

This test focuses on CD, CDN and CSN comparisons. I threw in 3 tins of 464 to show the difference in burns between C3 with popular wick series. 464 burns the way prior cases of C3 have burned for me. It was to settle an argument in my mind.

The Range:

DSC_0087.JPG

Front row: C3 candle cocoon Cd12, CDN12, CDN14     464  BCN CD12, CD14, CD16

Back Row: C3 candle science CSN 12, CSN14, CSN16    c3 BCN CD16, Precision CDN12, Precision CDN 14

• Like 1

I had previously burned BCN CD12 and 14 in my wax for 3 burns. Here is the comparison. I knew the CD12 and 14 would never catch up, so i omitted them from this particular burn comparison in favor of the other series from different suppliers.

DSC_0109.JPG

Now compare those in the new case of C3 to the 464. In 464 the CN12 is only slightly behind the CD14 and CD16.

In my new case of C3 wax the CD12 and 14 are a good 2 sizes too small. The CD16 gets to where it "should" by this time.

DSC_0108.JPG

Conclusions after Burn 2:

- CSN wicks by CandleScience are smaller than CD and CDN counterparts of the same number size. All are a Big fat fail in these tins in my current C3 lot.

- 464 comparisons will be re-done. Why is the CD14 melt pool bigger than the CD16 in these? opposite of the C3 tests.

- CDN series burn slightly smaller than CD of the same number size. Someone needing n "in-between" size might get lucky with these.

- CD12 still burning a slightly wider MP than CD14. CD14 seems to consume more wax judging by consumed wax depth. MP depths seem similar.

From experience with these waxes and wicks, many of these may need to be wicked DOWN when fragrance is added.

• Like 3

• 7 months later...
  • 4 months later...
26 minutes ago, Tigerwife said:

Is there a reason you don't use(test) the ECO series from CS? That's what I've always used in 464 in tins and now I'm thinking I need to try something else.

In the 2 previous tests they have done and posted on here they tested at least one eco wick in each test.  This one was focusing on different wicks yet again to show people how these will tend to burn.