Can FO load really be this high in soy wax?!

olives

I was doing a little bit of competitive research and noticed this on a fellow maker's website:

"Most candle companies cut costs by skimping on the amount of fragrance oil they pour into each candle...we pour our candles with a high Fragrance Load

Fragrance Load refers to the percentage of fragrance oil to wax.  We don't disclose the exact percentage we pour for each scent as the exact formula varies depending upon the scent... plus it's also one of our trade secrets but we can say that it's between 12% and 15%."

Wowza!

They say that they are using a "using a proprietary blend of soy wax". I use GB 464, and I know that when I've gotten close to even a 9-10% FO load in any testing that I've done, I've ended up with seeping oil and too much smoke when burning. 

I've had great results with my 6-7% FO load so I'm not looking to increase it, but I'm so curious about seeing someone make a claim like this. I'd love to know if this seems legit? Thanks for your thoughts. :) 

6 hours ago, TallTayl said:

People say the darnedest things... to me, it seems like a total waste of $ when less can do s much more.

like you, I notice candles that are overscented can burn less cleanly.

I completely agree. And I had to eye roll a bit at the use of the word "skimping". ha! 

6 hours ago, olives said:

..We don't disclose the exact percentage we pour for each scent as the exact formula varies depending upon the scent... plus it's also one of our trade secrets but we can say that it's between 12% and 15%."

Does this statement make any sense to anyone? Why would someone write something so rediculous on their website?!! Takes all kinds!

And yes olives there are waxes designed to hold up to 12% super loads of FO. But just because a wax can hold more doesn't mean its a good idea. I have worked with a couple of the waxes that hold 12% and trust me you don't need all that FO for a great scented candle.

Whenever I hear someone bragging about how much FO they use in their candles I always wonder just how long they will stay in business. Its a good way to burn money and produce a crap candle too.

• Like 1

47 minutes ago, TallTayl said:

You know who 12% FL load benefits? The fragrance sellers. Plain and simple. Claim it can hold more and they will sell more fragrance. Kinda brilliant 

It's a great selling point for the wax manufacturer too. Some chandlers just want to put more FO in their candles than anyone and make claims about how much FO their candles hold.

• Like 1