Using cups for molds

CBeardly

Has anyone successfully used plastic cups like the red Solo cup (or any other plastic cup) as a soap mold? CP or MP? As a mold only or as the mold & packaging combo? Can you get the soap out without destroying it (the soap) or losing your mind? Thanks! :)

Lye can eat away at one of those flimsy plastic solo cups. I wouldn't recommend using one as a mold.

There are some cute clamshell soap molds if you want to make a soap you can simply pour and sell in the container. I've seen them at a couple of suppliers. They are a hard plastic. C&S has them. They make about a 4oz bar of soap.

Here is a link to the soap clamshell: http://www.candlesandsupplies.net/Rectangular-Clamshell-Mold-per-each

Edited by Candybee
  • Like 1

Solo cups are not so great with cp soap. Many fragrances and essential oils eat away at them along with the caustic lye solution as the soap saps. Then, unmolding is not a treat. The soap looks mangled at the end. 

Crafters choice makes various large cavity PET clamshells that can be used for soap. At the end of the day, soap will shrink, so the final package may or may not look like what you envisioned. 

I'd I'd rather use individual silicone molds, then wrap tightly with professional strength plastic wrap than mess with expensive containers.

• Like 1

*I've got a blue million molds, thank you though! I only ask because I've seen some MP soaps on etsy being sold in Solo & clear plastic cups that are really cute. Plus I've seen an older Soapmaker's Challenge with dessert soaps & there were some plastic cups used with CP soap. It seems like it would be a nightmare to get the soap out though.

Edited by CBeardly
forgot to add