Question for those who triple wick

Hey guys,

I want to buy some new jars and was curious about wicking. They are the 15oz Libbey cylinder jars offered at lonestar candle. They are 3.75 in diameter and my question is, those of you who double or triple wick, what is the best method for doing this? I thought about buy the EZ wick setter but I'm not sure the max diameter would meet the 3.75 inches. Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!

I do an awful amount of triple and double wicking and my suggestion for that size container 2 wicks perform beautiful.  Now I use 464 wax and use 2 cd 5 wicks.

I would place the wicks about 1 1/4" from the edge of the glass for each wick.  I know some use 3 wicks - so maybe if you were to do 3 I would go with 3 cd 4 wicks.  I don't know what wax you are using though.  When I have jars that are about 4 3/4 diameter I use 3 cd6 wicks for a perfect burn.

I was reading on Lonestars site and I see that someone said the extra large flat glass lid fits perfectly since these jars don't come with lids.

Hope that helps a bit.

Trappeur

• Like 1

I do an awful amount of triple and double wicking and my suggestion for that size container 2 wicks perform beautiful.  Now I use 464 wax and use 2 cd 5 wicks.

I would place the wicks about 1 1/4" from the edge of the glass for each wick.  I know some use 3 wicks - so maybe if you were to do 3 I would go with 3 cd 4 wicks.  I don't know what wax you are using though.  When I have jars that are about 4 3/4 diameter I use 3 cd6 wicks for a perfect burn.

I was reading on Lonestars site and I see that someone said the extra large flat glass lid fits perfectly since these jars don't come with lids.

Also I eyeball everything as I don't own a wick setter.....

Hope that helps a bit.

Trappeur

• Like 1

As always thanks for taking time to respond Trappeur! I figured you had a process and I just wasn't sure how hard it would be to set wicks with out a tool or exactly how far apart to set the wicks by hand. I use both 464 and 415. 

• Like 1

Well FB my process is probably not the best when placing wicks in big jars.  You should see when I have to triple wick 6" and up diameter containers....lol

What I usually do is put the wick stickums onto the bottoms of the wicks and straighten the wicks up and just set them into the jar while the wick stickum paper is not removed yet and I keep moving the wicks around till I get it to the area I'm happy with and then I take the paper thingy off the stickem and then press them into the jar.  Sometimes it can get very frustrating.  

Trappeur

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Moonstar said:

Do you see much difference between 464 and 415 ? 

I like the throw of 415 better but the ease and appearance of 464. I haven't mastered the look of 415 yet and still have left over 464 which is why I use both.  

41 minutes ago, Trappeur said:

Well FB my process is probably not the best when placing wicks in big jars.  You should see when I have to triple wick 6" and up diameter containers....lol

What I usually do is put the wick stickums onto the bottoms of the wicks and straighten the wicks up and just set them into the jar while the wick stickum paper is not removed yet and I keep moving the wicks around till I get it to the area I'm happy with and then I take the paper thingy off the stickem and then press them into the jar.  Sometimes it can get very frustrating.  

Trappeur

I will try this. Thanks!

5 hours ago, FB157 said:

I like the throw of 415 better but the ease and appearance of 464. I haven't mastered the look of 415 yet and still have left over 464 which is why I use both.  

Here are a couple pictures of how I double and triple wick candles.

I would be very careful wicking that Lonestar container as I believe that glass is a thin walled jar and you don't want to get those wicks close to the side walls for the sheer fact of the glass getting hot and cracking.  I would say 1 1/2" away from the sidewalls would be a safe enough distance to prevent a possible cracking of jar.

Trappeur

CIMG9224.jpg

CIMG8350.jpg

CIMG7708.jpg

CIMG7666_1.jpg

CIMG7693.jpg

• Like 6

Wow Trappeur, thanks for sharing!! Those are so beautiful!!!! I can't imagine wick testing some of those, yikes. Where did you find those beautiful pieces of pottery? Somewhere local I'm sure, they are pretty!

Nice photos & candles, Trappeur!

@FB157 ... someone shared this tip here awhile back and I think it's a good one.  I've always "eyed" my wicks in the center, but it is more difficult when dealing with more than one.  I used their suggestion on my single wicks and it does make the work go much faster.  You can only do it with clear glass.  Use the jar as a stencil and draw the outline on a piece of paper, then mark where the wick goes.  Set the glass on the paper, aligned within the circle you've drawn and you can see where to land your wick(s).  Since I use a high-temp glue gun, this really helps me to get it right the first time and quickly too, which makes a difference when using hot glue.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, FB157 said:

Wow Trappeur, thanks for sharing!! Those are so beautiful!!!! I can't imagine wick testing some of those, yikes. Where did you find those beautiful pieces of pottery? Somewhere local I'm sure, they are pretty!

Thankyou FB!  Actually they are finds off of Etsy and Ebay......And they are 6" and 7" ones.  Geesh I thought I put up one of your size....I'll put one up a little bit.

Trappeur

Oh yes, good idea what Birdcharm said about centering the 1 wick with the clear glass jars.  Now what I have done in the past but don't do anymore but eye ball the center is I will cut an exact circle of the inside bottom diameter out of a piece of paper and press the paper down to the bottom the jar that is not clear to make sure it fits precisly.  After you have cut the paper circle out mark the center with an x and punch a hole right through the X and then place that paper down to the bottom of the inside of the jar and take a magic marker and go through the x until you have marked the actually bottom of the container.  I used to do that but I make sooooo many candles and it was just too nerve racking for me, so now I just eyeball them.  And I couldn't be bothered with getting one of the centering wick thingys....it would drive me nuts...

Trappeur

On 3/22/2017 at 4:48 AM, Trappeur said:

Here are a couple pictures of how I double and triple wick candles.

I would be very careful wicking that Lonestar container as I believe that glass is a thin walled jar and you don't want to get those wicks close to the side walls for the sheer fact of the glass getting hot and cracking.  I would say 1 1/2" away from the sidewalls would be a safe enough distance to prevent a possible cracking of jar.

Trappeur

CIMG9224.jpg

CIMG8350.jpg

CIMG7708.jpg

CIMG7666_1.jpg

CIMG7693.jpg

Beautiful candles Trappeur!!