Amish Man Jailed From Milsbeling Salve

Not sure if I'm doing this correctly but I wanted to share a story I read yesterday on facebook about an amish man arrested by the FDA for mislabeling his salve he makes and sells. 

I couldn't find anything while reserching this case that is was false. 

http://www.icontact-archive.com/NGPZGNZ0MsM61WcVJ3rpFviZsxzbA9ul?w=4#.WLIrlYEZTGw.facebook

Edited by coffeebean
mispelling

Not false, and he got a sentence of 68 years. It's a case that has been going on for several years. His products have so many medical claims, and he refused to remove them after getting cease and desist letters. When the agents would come to inspect his facility, he was rude and aggressive toward them, and would refuse them on his property, etc. 

His claims would be anything as benign as to get rid of wrinkles to as dangerous as his stuff would cure cancer.

The title of the article and reasoning he was jailed so long is a little misleading,

The bulk of the sentencing was not for mislabeling or misleading the public, but for threatening a federal agent. 

Ive been following this for a while. 

• Like 1

Yes, a lot of people I know are crying how 68 years is not justice, and whether it is or not, well, that's not for me to say, but this man had years to change his wording, and he refused, he had years to let his claims be proven and he refused, he had years to make it right, and didn't, and then got aggressive and made threats to another persons life - so, IDK - I wasn't on the jury so hard to say... 

Interesting story. Plus a reminder to us all to use caution in labeling products and making claims. Not only do you not want to  make any medical claims but you don't want to imply them in any way either. Not unless your product has been tested and approved by the FDA.

• Like 1

Coffeebean I saw the same article on FB. Jcandleattic thanks for clarifying about the charges, I had no idea about the aggressive behavior towards a 

Federal agent. This is kinda off topic but years ago I watched about 3-4 episodes of a Amish show. I have to say it was interesting, how true it was IDK

basically the episodes I saw revolved around a young man that wanted to leave the church or the faith ??? and how he was treated during + afterwards.

The elders came in his home without his permission and basically destroyed and removed his belongings + the way they were talking it was so weird 

like an amish mofia lol ! The show touched on other "taboos" within the Amish community that was so weird. I also read on FB about a woman claiming 

she has FDA approval on some infertility soap she makes WTH ???? I really think medical claims are out of control, this of course is my opinion but I see

it very often. Etsy is flooded with them as well + most of those shops have incredible sales + followers on Instagram. It just amazes me on how they are 

getting away with this stuff. I guess they're willing to take that chance and make the $$$ until they get caught/warned + then comply . I think its a matter 

of time before small crafters/ soap makers etc will not be able to make things in their homes anymore & the industry will be regulated by the FDA all 

because of greed + delusional thinking. Sure many things do work great however you can't make claims yet people still do. 

• Like 1

Well, the thing with this man too, is for years, he was warned, so it's not like just out of the blue a one time thing and all of a sudden he was charged. He was warned time and time again to remove or change the wording of his labeling or someone was going to come and inspect his manufacturing practices and test his product which he also refused several times. I first heard of this this case in question at least 6 years ago and it had been going on several years before that even so it's not as if he didn't know. He willfully refused to do anything. 

So these people that claim injustice, I'm just not sure if that's the case. This is a violent, aggressive man that had several chances to obey the law and he refused... 

• Like 2