Question about lye fumes

coconut

I have never made soap from scratch. I am still learning and reading about the science of it all. One question I cannot seem to get an answer to is about lye fumes. I have read about how lye produces lots of fumes when it is added to water and mixed. My question is this: once the initial reaction is complete, does lye continue to outgas while uncovered and when being mixed with the oils? If you were making unscented soap, would you still have air quality issues while mixing and molding soap? Thank you and please forgive a stupid question. 

The only times there are fumes so to speak is actually from the steam when it heats us.  I use a folded dish towel and hold it over my nose/mouth while stirring until clear  I also do this either by the stove hood or cracked open window over my sink.  Once mixed there is no worries. 

You get the major part of the vapors as the lye initially reacts with the liquid agent. It dissipates after a few minutes. Just don't breathe it in. Wear some protection. I wear a respirator. I got it for when I make candles and found its perfect for when I mix my lye.

Also, try to mix your lye in a well ventilated area. I have a sink under a window in my kitchen that I use. Once I have finished stirring the lye to dissolve all the crystals I set the bowl on the window sill and draw the curtains around it so the fumes go outside. I also have a ceiling fan and a portable room fan I can use on winter days when its too cold to open the window.

If you have ever inhaled lye fumes you will know instantly. It has an acrid smell/taste and can burn your lungs. Ask me how I know. ... and this was from just a small whiff. As I mentioned I always wear my respirator and it blocks fumes/vapors/gases from getting into my mouth, nose, and lungs.

I also know a soaper that wears a plastic face mask that covers her whole face. I reminds me of a welder's mask but its plastic. Not sure where she got it but if protects her entire face.

Which reminds me I wear glasses so I have never had the vapors or splashed it in my eyes. You also need to protect your eyes so wear goggles too.

Edited by Candybee
  • Like 2

Thanks so much for the info.  If I ever get the courage to do it, I'll mix outside since it is always warm here.  I would definitely use a respirator and goggles or a face mask.  I do wear glasses but I don't think I would like to wear a respirator the whole time of stirring soap and putting it in the molds. I wanted to be sure the lye didn't release fumes during it's mixing with oils and being stirred into soap. I've worked with paint stripper before, but that's a little different.  It's already mixed when you get it.  We'll see....might stick to the rebatching, that was kinda fun.  :)

at a minimum do wear goggles that don't allow stuff to blow in from the sides/top/bottom. 

Can I just say adding lye beads outside where winds might blow is scary? just put your pot in a sink and add the lye beads where any potential spill can safely be guided down a drain where no animals or people might accidentally come upon it. Beads of lye on your clothing hitching a ride from outside in can be tricky.  likewise carrying pitchers where you could trip or misstep is more scary than handling the lye itself.

It's really not that bad if you respect it like a knife or hot cooking pan. treat the lye as you would deep fry oil or sharp knives. don't move the pitchers any more than you absolutely have to.

working near a vent or open window when you first add the lye to the water is a good idea. the fumes are released while the initial chemical reaction happens.

• Like 3

I never mixed my lye outside. Good info TT. Those lye beads fly around like packing peanuts and stick like them too. Using a sink to mix your lye indoors is the best option. If any lye beads do get in the sink it won't hurt it. You can just wash it down the drain.

The other question you have is does the lye continue to produce fumes while you are adding to your oils and stirring batter, adding scent, etc., etc.,....

Most of the soaps I make I set my lye solution aside to cool down to room temp. Normally I prepare my lye first, then start weighing out my oils for soaping. So once my lye is cooling down I start weighing out my oils without my respirator. So I only wear it for a minute or two while I am mixing the lye. I take my respirator off after I set my lye solution aside to cool down.

Edited by Candybee

21 minutes ago, TallTayl said:

at a minimum do wear goggles that don't allow stuff to blow in from the sides/top/bottom. 

Can I just say adding lye beads outside where winds might blow is scary? just put your pot in a sink and add the lye beads where any potential spill can safely be guided down a drain where no animals or people might accidentally come upon it. Beads of lye on your clothing hitching a ride from outside in can be tricky.  likewise carrying pitchers where you could trip or misstep is more scary than handling the lye itself.

It's really not that bad if you respect it like a knife or hot cooking pan. treat the lye as you would deep fry oil or sharp knives. don't move the pitchers any more than you absolutely have to.

working near a vent or open window when you first add the lye to the water is a good idea. the fumes are released while the initial chemical reaction happens.

EXACTLY what I was going to say, (in fact almost verbatim). 

And in answer to will lye out-gas after mixing, the answer is no. Lye while steaming (or more properly vapor, not a fume) is in essence a very fine atomization of lye solution. That's why it's unpleasant to breathe in even in tiny quantities.  

In reference to the stove comment, it should be importantly noted that they are doing the mixing there only for the benefit of the vent hood and NOT for heating. ALWAYS use cold or at least room temperature water when mixing your lye. It'll get plenty hot on it's own without adding any heat.  I personally weigh my lye out separately and try to keep the large container of lye closed as much as humanly possible so that exposure to moisture in the air is minimized. I also keep the large jar of lye inside a plastic zip lock bag which really seems to help with the preventing lump formation.  

Wow, thank you all for all this great information. You guys are awesome and very kind to share this knowledge.  TT, you make a good point about the wind. Sponiebr, good info on the cold water. I would have to refrigerate my water to get it cold but that's fine as I have more than one refrigerator. I will not be attempting to make soap at my current home but at my next one I hope to have more options for a workspace. I made scented candles for 8 or 9 years, outside in my covered lanai at my last home. Since my allergies went berserk I have had to give up scents, which started my quest for unscented soap. If I can replicate that setup, I think it might work out. I had a full outside kitchen with sink, stove and refrigerator under a roof in a screened space. It was the best way to keep things separate from the house kitchen. The new place has a sink in the garage too so that offers options as well. For now I am trying to learn as much as possible and explore whether or not I am up to the challenge. I never knew soap could be so complex. This seems like real alchemy to me. :read:

It's really not that hard to make soap. Making complicated soap offers challenges, but unscented, unfancy soap is easy. To quote Nike, just do it. ?  Make sure you have lots of space to store soap because after you make the first batch you will be hooked. 

• Like 3

50 minutes ago, coconut said:

Ha Ha, that's what I'm afraid of! I think once I get moved I just may give it a try. If you see a green cloud over Florida, could be me.  :D

Ok. You can produce the green cloud I'll produce the boom... ;)

• Like 1

I just use room temp water.  I mix mine in large batches ahead of time and store it if I have a lot of soap to make.  Otherwise, I make it the night before so I'm working with cooled lye when I'm ready.