Etched Glass Containers

Lana

Just wondering if any of you have etched any of the standard glass vessels you sell. My favorite candles to buy are Nest and they have beautiful candle jars that I think are so pretty. They're clear glass with etched vertical stripes. It got me thinking.... Maybe I could etch a design or my logo onto the glass of my candles. 

I tend to like a clean look on the glass itself and would rather put all pertinent information on the bottom warning label and and on the outer packaging, as opposed to a label on the glass. I feel like an etched design might give it the oomph it needs. 

Thoughts? Concerns? Advice?

I wonder if you could do something similar with heat sublimation. I have been looking into the cylinder type machines that can basically embed a deign on the glass...maybe they have heat paper that would give an etched look of your logo? 

I love the idea of actual etching too...what about something like this, to do a design by hand?

https://www.amazon.com/General-Tools-505-Cordless-Precision/dp/B004YK66NM/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1487690942&sr=8-1&keywords=glass+etching+pen

2 hours ago, jbradshaw said:

What if you did a stencil and used etching cream? I think that would look really nice, I'm envisioning an etched design all around the glass with a logo label so your logo still stands our. 

The etching cream is exactly what I was thinking. I've never done anything like that but I might get to experimenting this weekend. I was really more concerned about the safety of doing this. As in, does it make the glass more likely to shatter or anything? Of course, I'd test it repeatedly on my end before selling or anything, but if there was a major safety concern, I wouldn't even consider it. 

2 minutes ago, candlesinflorida said:

never heard of etching cream; how does it work?

I haven't looked fully into it yet but I believe it's a acid-y cream that you apply to glass, leave on for a few minutes and wipe it off. The acid basically eats the surface of the glass, which is leaves the etched appearance. 

That's just based on some quick googling before work this morning, so forgive me if my description is the worst. Lol. 

This is the Nest jar that I'm referring to. I think they're so pretty. (edited to add: I obviously haven't cleaned this one up, but I'm just saying the glass itself is my favorite out of any candle I've purchased)

image.jpeg

Edited by Lana
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, Lana said:

This is the Nest jar that I'm referring to. I think they're so pretty. (edited to add: I obviously haven't cleaned this one up, but I'm just saying the glass itself is my favorite out of any candle I've purchased)

image.jpeg

That's the one I was imagining :)
I love their designs. 

I would love to see how the etching cream works out. Long ago...before my crafty days...I once tried to etch a mirror with some sort of etching spray from home depot; it didn't turn out so well.

• Like 1

52 minutes ago, candlesinflorida said:

That's the one I was imagining :)
I love their designs. 

I would love to see how the etching cream works out. Long ago...before my crafty days...I once tried to etch a mirror with some sort of etching spray from home depot; it didn't turn out so well.

I tend to have not so great luck with any kind of crafty thing (Except melts/candles lol) so I don't have the highest of hopes for my plan, but I'm gonna try! I'm going to get my hands on this cream, good gloves and safety glasses and start practicing. Hopefully this weekend, but maybe the following.