Wooden wicks

I have had no luck trying to wick candles in jars or tins.  Have gone thru many many testers and just never burns perfectly for me so now looking at wooden wicks.

I bough some Small ones from Aztec and tested a couple in a 6 oz tin with 3022 wax and Lavender fo and the wick in my opinion is to small.  melt pool after 3 hours was not to edge and the HT was really good

Does anyone work with these and are they worth  the time and effort?  

They really sound cool when burning a crackle sound like a fireplace,.

I would be able to make candles for gifts but I do not seem to have a green thumb for wicking.

Start here. http://www.woodcandlewick.com/ Scroll to the bottom and order the sampler pack. It comes with I think 5 of each type/size and 20 sustainers. Ive ordered from them in the past when testing and they are really good quality wicks. I believe they are the patent holders so I always trusted the product. As far as which wick to use I cannot help due to not having any previous experience using your wax. Good luck

25 minutes ago, karinz40 said:

I have had no luck trying to wick candles in jars or tins.  Have gone thru many many testers and just never burns perfectly for me so now looking at wooden wicks.

I bough some Small ones from Aztec and tested a couple in a 6 oz tin with 3022 wax and Lavender fo and the wick in my opinion is to small.  melt pool after 3 hours was not to edge and the HT was really good

Does anyone work with these and are they worth  the time and effort?  

They really sound cool when burning a crackle sound like a fireplace,.

I would be able to make candles for gifts but I do not seem to have a green thumb for wicking.

Also, I may want to point out, you stated above that your melt pool wasnt to the edge after your first 3 hour burn. This is actually a GOOD thing. You never want a full melt pool after your first 3-4 hour burn. Typically if you DID have a full MP that early, later on in the bottom half of the candle, the tin would be way too hot and your burn on the brink of being a danger hazard. Just my 2 cents anyways.,

I bought those packs, clear black, and had trouble with some of the sizes not staying lit at all. Not drowning, just not burning... I really wanted them to work... 

am giving one one last try to bittercreeks two types. I really hate not feeling confident in wick performance for retail candles!

• Like 1

53 minutes ago, TallTayl said:

I bought those packs, clear black, and had trouble with some of the sizes not staying lit at all. Not drowning, just not burning... I really wanted them to work... 

am giving one one last try to bittercreeks two types. I really hate not feeling confident in wick performance for retail candles!

TT, what thickness wood wicks did you get? They sell .20 and .30 I found the .30 thickness ones to stay lit just fine, but you can always double up on x2 .20 wicks and test from there. It will at least let you figure out if the .30's will work better than just one .20 that may be snuffing itself out.

Edited by Clear Black

All are the same thickness in my packs. I should not have to double a wick to get it to light. I held one in my hand and lit it. The flame would not even catch on the fibers. I have to check the label on the candle to see if it was a premium crackle, non crackle or the other version. 

17 minutes ago, TallTayl said:

All are the same thickness in my packs. I should not have to double a wick to get it to light. I held one in my hand and lit it. The flame would not even catch on the fibers. I have to check the label on the candle to see if it was a premium crackle, non crackle or the other version. 

I can only give information on the wicks from woodcandlewick.com, as those are the only ones ive ever used. They DO sell different thickness ones if you are ever interested in buying a sample pack from them TT, although I cannot remember if you get different thickness ones in the sample pack. I think once i narrowed down what size wood wick to use I then bought a 100 bag of .30 thick ones

• Like 1