Hi I'm lost and forgetful and... Oh! Hi! I'm lost and uh...

Sponiebr

Oh HI! I'm lost and confused and I think I've forgotten something...

Oh! Hi there! I'm a little lost and I can't understand something... 

Something like... What the HELL is up with the flipp'n SUGAR and sodium lactate in the Fluid HP method?  

I found out about the yogurt last night, the honey seems to loosen up the soap for pouring and, it's just a hunch, but I'm thinking that the SL and the yogurt (because they're listed in EVERY stink'n formulation), are some things that aid in lowering the viscosity of the soap as well.  It doesn't seem to be actually written anywhere, so will anyone confirm that hunch for me?  Also, does anyone have some other methods or items that would improve flow and lowering viscosity of the soap for pouring and swirling? Somewhere in the back of my head I remember something about adding large quantities of alcohol to the hot soap, (which seems like a stink'n nightmare, maybe cyclo?)

Direction people! I need direction!

I also probably need a straight jacket...

Your input is always appreciated, (and 99% of the time actually put into practice).

Slainte!

Sponiebr the (oh damn! I'm LATE!!! )    

• Like 1

I tried those methods when they first came out with all the fanfare. Ever notice how you never see those bars photographed after the original photo shoot right from the cutter? 

Several other seasoned soap soap makers joined me trying to figure out the appeal. A month later we were all still confuzzled about why this was so popular. Shrunken head soap is not pretty.

• Like 3

Did I reply to this already or did my post never make it off my laptop? Well, just in case... I did... I'll reverbatize my responceification... 

7 hours ago, TallTayl said:

I tried those methods when they first came out with all the fanfare. Ever notice how you never see those bars photographed after the original photo shoot right from the cutter? 

Several other seasoned soap soap makers joined me trying to figure out the appeal. A month later we were all still confuzzled about why this was so popular. Shrunken head soap is not pretty.

Really? Do they shrink up that badly? I made my last batch at 40% water and after the cook and the evaporation and all I suspect that my end % was somewhere in the 35-37% area. I won't know however because I didn't bother to do an accurate weight after the cook. I'll warn my co-worker that these might shrivel up after a while... Thanks for the heads up TT. 

I didn't have any yogurt or SL so I fell back on my old standby of winging it and my fats and everything ended up as soap! I keep getting soap dammit! My reputation for bad ideas is on the line here... I'm sure I just jinxed myself, which is a pretty bad idea, so (sighs) I'm right on track!  o.O

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Sponiebr said:

I think I see what you're talking about. Some of the bars are not drying evenly and are becoming warped. 

That is a trait with a LOT of HP bars, but even more so when trying to get the HP to be more fluid by adding more water. 

I personally (and this is a personal preference) don't see the appeal in HP. It takes longer to make, harder to keep consistent looking bars, I can't get a decent swirl to save my life, it still needs a cure time, and after the cure time of both CP and HP I honestly can't tell that big of a difference in the overall feel of the soap, but can tell which is which because of what the HP soap looks like. 

I do HP on occasion, just to prove to myself that I can still do it, but those are always small (ish) batches and made just for personal use. 

• Like 3

I can tell the difference in feel with HP and CP for sure. Every HP is more soluble than CP of the same (and other) formula IME. Soluble meaning it wears more quickly which is why it produces more lather during use. 

When the two widely popular methods of HP became mainstream the sheer amount of sugar, yogurt, water, etc. used in the formula was a dead giveaway that the soap would wear more quickly. That much "stuff" between the crystal structures of the soap means only one thing: unstable soap, wick to wear. And quick to shrink both during reasonable cure time and during use.

• Like 2

Oh see, I can't tell the difference of feel between my HP and CP, but I don't use my soap until it's at least 6-9 months old (regardless of method) I have the luxury of having that time because I have so much soap, there's no need for me to use it sooner than that. 

I sell after a 6 week cure. I know others only wait the 3-4 weeks though.... 

• Like 2