Candle Science Fragrance Oils

YAMS

20 minutes ago, Incendia said:

Some of these new (to me) CS scents that you mention are really nice. :) 

As for the orange blossom, I did have it in my cart, but it is a fragrance that requires more expensive shipping, so I removed it. I've had mixed results with orange type FOs. Half of the time, my nose picks up a grapefruit aspect that is a turn-off, so I am less likely to take a risk with them. That's too bad because I love the scent of real orange blossoms. I did order one from Peaks that was spot-on however. I love that one.

I know people have different senses of smell. And that our taste and olfactory senses influence one another. About 25% of the population are 'super tasters' because of more taste buds per unit area on their tongues. I am one. We are the people who hate dislike the taste of arugula, Brussel sprouts, coffee, beer, grapefruit, black licorice, hard liquor etc. We also prefer milk to dark chocolate, and white wine over red. It's not a fool-proof list, of course. I wonder how much this affects which FO people like me like/dislike. Since I can pick up an 'unpleasant' grapefruit scent in some scents sold as 'orange', I wonder what else is influenced because of this.

Off to read about super tasters - very interesting ! 

38 minutes ago, Moonstar said:

Off to read about super tasters - very interesting ! 

I fortunately heard about the phenomenon (maybe 60 minutes?) when I was much younger and just thought I had a really wimpy palette. It was very helpful to know the reason for it. Over the years, I've met a good number of other 'super tasters' and we compare lists of what we don't like - often over a lighter fruity drink, lol.

Here is one of the better lists from Wikipedia of 'our' dislikes: (I changed the format to condense it)

Certain alcoholic beverages[15] (gins, tequilas, and hoppy beers) Brassica oleracea cultivars (become very sulfurous, especially if overcooked) Brussels sprouts[18][19][20] Cabbage[18] Kale[20] Coffee[18] Grapefruit juice[19] Cilantro Green tea[19] Watercress, mustard greens, horseradish, dandelion greens, rutabaga and turnip[21] Soy products[19] Carbonated water[22] Mushrooms Anise and licorice Lower-sodium foods[23]

(Other foods may also show altered patterns of preference and consumption, but only indirect evidence exists:)

Tonic water – Quinine is more bitter to supertasters[citation needed]

Olives – for a given concentration, salt is more intense in supertasters[citation needed]

There are a few of the above I don't mind at all... but it is a rather long list.

edit to add: my mom, in retrospect also a supertaster, had an incredibly acute sense of smell. We used to marvel at it. She could pick up scents in the air long before anyone else..  both pleasant and unpleasant ones.

Edited by Incendia

• 2 months later...

CS is one of my favorite suppliers. I use 464 with ECO wicks, and these are some of the scents that are my favorites and/or have been working really well for me:

- Cranberry Marmalade

- Very Vanilla

- Black Sea

- Coconut Lime

- Fresh Coffee (I mix with Creme Brûlée)

- Blood Orange

- McIntosh Apple

- Clean Cotton

- Lavender

- Garden Mint

- Peach Nectar

On 3/18/2017 at 0:08 PM, Incendia said:

I fortunately heard about the phenomenon (maybe 60 minutes?) when I was much younger and just thought I had a really wimpy palette. It was very helpful to know the reason for it. Over the years, I've met a good number of other 'super tasters' and we compare lists of what we don't like - often over a lighter fruity drink, lol.

Here is one of the better lists from Wikipedia of 'our' dislikes: (I changed the format to condense it)

There are a few of the above I don't mind at all... but it is a rather long list.

edit to add: my mom, in retrospect also a supertaster, had an incredibly acute sense of smell. We used to marvel at it. She could pick up scents in the air long before anyone else..  both pleasant and unpleasant ones.

My husband used to pick at me about having such a good sense of smell and I thought I did too until I started this business. There are some on here that pick up much more in depth notes to different scents that I don't pick up on. I think it's just that he and my boys can't smell hardly at all so that makes my normal sense of smell seem like it's better than it is LOL! 

I'm probably not a super taster either because I love some of the things on the list, but I hate the taste of beer and other alcoholic beverages. That is very interesting. I think I'll read some more about that! 

These lists are so great! I'm not sure how i haven't seen this thread before as I am constantly searching for great FOs from Candlescience (they are close to me so shipping is great). 

I love: (in 464)

Lavender

Very Vanilla

Fig Tree (I think that's the name)

Oakmoss and Amber

Frasier Fir

I have Red Hot but haven't put it in wax yet - but it seems like it will be wonderful.