50 Shades of Masochism.

Sponiebr

Well, 

I undertook a challenge today because, well, I'm starting to think I may be a masochist. 20% Pine tar soap superfated to 10% with a salt brine at about 6.5% PPO, AND.... wait for it... 

Really this is epic... 

Beeswax

Yes, CP pine tar soap with 2% beeswax and BRINE. Betcha didn't think that could be done huh!? I must admit, I was "concerned" about the concept. I kept the temperatures as low as I could without getting separations AND I mixed EVERYTHING in at one time. Fats, incorporated beeswax (melted it in the nuker with some OO before adding it to the bulk fats), FO, and pine tar all mixed together and waiting the cool lye/brine. I'm guessing the fats were at about 115F -ish. It was baby bath water warm whatever that is...

So in goes the lye and as you might expect things moved... "quickly". Like, false heavy-medium trace ball in the middle with unincorporated fats around it the instant the lye solution hit the fats "quickly". I got it loosened up a tad when I forced the rest of the fats into the mix by beating them mercilessly with my Dollar Tree plastic whisk...(They'll get the spoon next time...) I just barely got it poured into the mold. It got hot, as pine tar is wont to do in the bowl as I'm pouring it... It got hotter because of the beeswax once it was IN the mold. It sweated like any normal stressed out thing that had just been beaten mercilessly into submission with a plastic Dollar Tree whisk would... o.O 
But THIS time when it sweated I got a surprise! YAY! Sugar frosted loaf of brownies!! No, no, not really, it's just salt. I know it's just salt because I tasted it. It's kinda cool looking though...  

I used Fraser Fir (CS) FO, but no peppermint :(

Now, you might find yourself wondering why would I DO that to myself? (WHY would he DO that to himself!?)!?  Well, the answer might be exotic like I might be a masochist, (He might be a masochist...) and as fun as that might be to tout about as a moniker, (sighs), the truth, (which no one wants to hear) is that it was for mundane reasons I created that mess. (pure sigh of ennui...)  

I did this really just to try and find a way of firming up an inherently soft soap with something that wasn't a hard butter and without using sodium lactate. Just an experiment really, but one that produced a soap that I need. So, yeah! I killed 1 duck with 2 howitzers. 

Anyway. Next up CP 100% stearic acid soap mixed with a stick blender... (I'm kidding!!!! I wouldn't do that to my stick blender...)   

Cheers,

Sponie the Executor of Bad Ideas. 

20161003_223649.jpg

• Like 3

OH... This was NICE stuff to unmold... Crisp, clean, EASY... I mean, ya know, once I broke up the clingy love fest between the soap and the rubber it was easy to get out... No stickiness to the soap at all. It feels more "durable" than my other soaps, but it still feels like soap... It's kinda hard to describe... what's the word... Oh, Hard, that's the word. The soap is hard, but not like rock hard or 100% coconut oil soap hard... It's just nice, that is all. It seems to act pretty soapy in the sink when I went to wash up the molds... I dunno about the lather quality yet though.  

• Like 1

• 4 weeks later...
5 hours ago, CareBear said:

Cannot CP 100% stearic acid soap. Ask me how I know.

but... but... Someone on the DISH did it and sliced up their hands with the broken glass like soap that it made! I WANT BROKEN GLASS SOAP TOO!!!!! 
(pouts) I NEVER get to have any FUN! :(

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Sponiebr said:

but... but... Someone on the DISH did it and sliced up their hands with the broken glass like soap that it made! I WANT BROKEN GLASS SOAP TOO!!!!! 
(pouts) I NEVER get to have any FUN! :(

Lol was that the curly one?