body spray not mixing -aaarrrggg - UPDATE

LauraInNY

I just made some body sprays using FO and Cyclo at a 1/6 ratio. I made one batch with a Dream Angels Heavenly FO and another with Sweetpea FO. The dream angels came out perfectly. I had to shake quite a bit, but the FO mixed and stayed mixed. Scent is great! With the Sweetpea FO I mixed and have shaken and shaken and shaken. :angry2: The FO keeps separating. I thought this wasn't supposed to happen with cyclo?!?!?

Does anybody have any suggestions? TIA

Where can I find solubilizer? You use it instead of cyclo? or in addition to? Is it more or less expensive than cyclo? Does it work in all FO's?

I'm bummin' cuz I got the sweetpea for my daughter (it's her fave scent).

If I were to use the recipe with witch hazel and distilled water, I would still have the FO separate right? Do you use poly 20 with this? Does it help with mixing FO or is it just a preservative?

Thanks for any help...

quote:

"Solubilizer

It's here! This product allows fragrances and essential oils to mix with water based formulations. Use 1 part fragrance to 4 part solubilizer"

I have no experience using a solubilizer. i am not sure if it would work with cyclo, cyclo is not a water base. It could probably work with the water and witch hazel, but you would need a preservative. If you do not have a solubilizer you would need the poly20. The poly helps the FO and water mix, it does not preserve. (also, I know RObin knows the answer to this, I can't find it at the time, so much witch hazel/alcohol is self preserving and you wouldn't need a presv.)

Like heirloomoriginals stated, not all FO's mix well with cyclo. I use color bottles because of that. Some FO's sink to the bottom and turn brown, but you can't see through the colored bottle. YOu can also try using another supplier's sweet pea, my sweet pea mixes well with the cyclo. I guess it would also depend on the cyclo too.

HTH

I use a ready made body spray base right now, but the FO never mixes in with it, so I use poly20 to help it.

You have to be careful though not to use too much of it. When I did (not knowing how much would work) it burned the heck out of my nostrils when I sprayed it on myself. :eek: LOL

I've never tried cyclo, but I really want to.

Here's what I use, if you want a dry oil body spray and the scent will not mix with Cyclo use Fractionated Coconut Oil aka Coconut Oil Fractions - Triglycerides of Caprylic/Capric Acid.

Most FO's that don't mix with Cyclo will mix with FCO. It goes on soft silky and dry as Cyclo. Also FCO is good to cut Cyclo with when you make Cyclo body spray. It works great for me.

Hopes this helps, Candle Man

I used to use a body spray base and some FO's mixed and some did not. I used white bottles and as much as I didn't want to, had to label "shake before using".

I wanted to say, I, too, love to use straight FCO as a body spray. I haven't made any to sell or anything but really do like it for myself at this point.:)

Thanks so much everyone for all the help. I really appreciate it. :D

Candleman - do I understand correctly? You can use FCO and FO alone or our can cut the cyclo down and use FCO with it and the FO. If so, what ratios would you use for the FCO and FO both alone and if using it to cut the cyclo?

Michi - when you use the poly20 with the witch hazel recipe does the FO still separate or does it stay mixed?

Erikatx - where do you get your sweetpea from? I was wondering if I might have different results with a different supplier.

Where do you get the fractionated coconut oil? Who's is best (IYHO)?

I'm glad for any help Stephanie (I can't believe how fast you replied - you're awesome!!) :thumbsup:

OMG that's it?? That's all the FO you need to put in the FCO? How strong does that make it? I've never used that little of FO for anything - not that I'm complaining, I'm just used to using sooo much more.

That could also be part of your problem getting certain FO to mix, you m ay be adding to much FO. Try making the sweet pea with 1/8 tsp to 4 oz of Cyclo and see what happens. There is a good chance it will mix and be strong enough.

Comng from someone who used to over scent this helps a lot. I remember the fist Pink Sugar Dry Oil Spray I made with cyclo, OMG, so cloudy, kept sepereating and I my nose would not stop itching it was so strong

Hope this works for you, let us know

Elle

I'm glad for any help Stephanie (I can't believe how fast you replied - you're awesome!!) :thumbsup:

OMG that's it?? That's all the FO you need to put in the FCO? How strong does that make it? I've never used that little of FO for anything - not that I'm complaining, I'm just used to using sooo much more.

Well I can tell that some of the FO has mixed, because the cyclo on top is cloudy and a tad yellow instead of clear. I will try using less FO and work my way up if needed.

I have done some looking around at how much the FCO goes for and it seems to be all over the place. Anywhere from $2-$8 for 4oz of the stuff. Why does it vary so much? Is it the same stuff or is there a range of quality? Has anyone purchased from Oils by Nature before? And if so, how is their product and service? The price seems pretty good $5/lb or $19/7lbs. Does this sound like a good price for FCO?

6:1 is a lot of fo . I'd start with about .5 tsp and add from there as needed. Peak's sweet pea if a strong fo. Always easier to add fo then add cyclo or base. If you can get the alum bottles they are the best never have to worry about cloudy sprays or people seeing that it hasn't mixed. I put a note on my lables to Shake before using. Doesn't seem to bother people that the have to shake. :)

You can add it to the fo and cyclo. I've done that many times so I haven't wasted any ingredients. I use fo, fco & cyclo in my perfumes/sprays and they almost always look awesome! I use some really dark fo and they seem to work just fine. Lick Me All Over, Opium, Angel to name a few that are dark....and with the fco they work like a charm.

Trejen - How much FCO would you add to the mix of FO/Cyclo to make it right? If you normally make a mix of the 3 ingreds, what ratios would you use for them.

Also, if FCO is cheaper than cyclo and mixes better with FO's, why use it at all for the sprays? Is there something in it that makes it beneficial?

Thanks again everyone for your help! You guys are all great. :D

For those using FCO- can you use it like you would cyclo as a room spray/linen spray too?

THANKS- this info is awesome! :yay:

Because FCO is OIL I wouldn't think you'd want to use it as a linen/room spray, it might leave oil stains. ;)

I just have to say I'm soooo glad I looked at this thread again, as I had never thought of using FCO as a base for a body spray, but I bet it would be sooo much better than any alcohol based spray, and cheaper than cyclo. ;)

So, thanks Candleman and everyone else who posted about using it. I have FCO but the solid not the liquid, so I'm off to find some to buy and try. :D