I finally burned the 3 candles!!!

Hello all!

I wanted to upload some pics of the 3 small candles I made a week ago using, coconut 83 wax, double wicked them with ECO4 wicks, using Bora Bora scent. I also used 2 half pint canning jars I had stored in closet, just to use them up and a 7.75 oz slim jar I ordered from Fillmore containers ( those are the main jars I will use for future purposes to test).  I did consider the advice about how my wicks were uneven within the container from the previous post so I was very curious to see how they will burn, as I said I did double wick the 7.75 oz jar before with the same wax and scent and it burned even but was eager to see if I would get the same results with these 3 candles so.....

I did an initial 4 hr burn (lit candles at 3:42pm) , the first and second pic I took at 5:35pm and as you can see on the two half pint jars one wick from each burned out. The wicks curled soo fast into the growing melt pool.Off the record, I did re-light the wicks that burned out by using a wooden stick to uncurl the wick some just to see if the wicks will conjure up a flame again which it did. The third picture was taken at 7:43pm (4 hrs) and the middle candles wick went out again the one on the right surprisingly remained! Afterwards, I blew the candles out and let them sit for an hour. I eventually burned them again trimming the wicks first and wanted to see if the double wicks in each candle will burn successfully. The fourth and fifth picture I took around 12:30 am before I blew the candles out. Overall, I did come to the conclusion of using one wick size for my small candles just not the ECO4 because they always burn out in the wax before it creates a full meltpool.  The double wick burned great in the 7.75 oz jar (to the left in the pic) so thats hope LOL. I did make more candle using other sample oils I ordered and I just wicked them once using ECO8 in the half pint canning jars I will be able to upload those pics soon they are still curing. Oh! The scent throw with this wax is awesome so I was pleased with that as well. Feel free to comment :)

Bless

IMG_0514.JPG

IMG_0517.JPG

IMG_0524.JPG

IMG_0521.JPG

IMG_0523.JPG

• Like 2

Great testings!  Yep, those little mason jars really do need just 1 wick.  I'm looking at the jar on the left with the wicks still going and the melt pool is really way too deep.  I would go with 1 wick on that jar also.

Great job!

Trappeur

• Like 1

Guest OldGlory

Trappeur is right - the melt pools are too deep and the flames too large. I don't use that wax or those wicks, but I think you will be able to wick any of those jars with one wick.

As the wicks burn down into the jar the whole thing will retain more heat - thereby melting more wax. Shoot for 1/2" or less of melt pool after a 4 hr burn. You will find lots of older threads on this subject. Some 'hang-up' (wax on the sides or in the corners of your jars that hasn't melted yet) will be ok later as it burns down.

:biggrin:

This is why we test. Good job, but as others have said, way too much wick for those jars/wax combo. I would either try a bigger jar, or a single wick. You basically only want your full melt pool to be about 1/2"-3/4" deep pool at the 4 hour mark after your 2nd or 3rd burn. (I never get FMP on my first burn unless the wicks are wrong) 

@Jcandleattic

So we shouldn't have a full melt pool on first burn ? I burned another using just one wick ECO8 was the type and after the first burn there was some wax hang up but it wasn't a FMP I burned them the second and third time and there was still some wax hang up , also I just posted another thread about another small candle I made prior to  posting the pics of these 3 and it's double wicked but are closer together if you could check it out ? Please forgive me if I seem to be soo stuck on this double wick thing LOL I just want thoughts on the candles since I made them before current knowledge of what and what not to do. 

Here are some photos of the candle using one ECO8 wick after I blew it out I totally forgot to take some while they were burning ! ? 

@OldGlory @Trappeur 

IMG_0535.JPG

IMG_0536.JPG

Edited by cvndlechix

Guest OldGlory

Welcome to the frustrating part of candlemaking 101. There's a steep learning curve in your future! Most of us have been exactly where you are, so just take this in stride and contemplate what you are learning right now. Also, keeping detailed notes on the process will help in the future.

The first picture above is really too blurry to comment on. How long did you let the candle burn? As a test control, I would suggest allowing your test burns to be 4 hours each, and in a wind/circulating air controlled spot. Blowing air wreaks havoc on your wick testing. I bought some 8" wide 8" tall glass cylinders to put my test candles in. Of course, your customers will not be as picky about the location where they burn the candle, lol.

If you really must have something double wicked you need to use a larger jar, like 4" wide, and I would start with something that doesn't have a narrow neck.

You'll get there! You are off to a good start already.

Thank you so much @OldGlory I let it burn for 3 hours, and omg it's soo many factors they play into making and burning a candle SHEESH ? but I will stray from the double wicking of the small jars. I have some wax left over and am thinking about using the remaining to just test the wicks and not put any FO's in the mix just to see what wicks work in the two size jars I really want to work with for the future. 

Guest OldGlory

Just keep in mind that adding fragrance oil could change the wicking needs. Like adding an extra teaspoon of water to a cake mix, it changes the finished product. To take that a step further, some fragrance oils require the next size up while most of the other fragrances all need the same size. Some bakery type FOs with a high vanilla content need a larger wick, but you have to test every FO.

If you master one size jar with a certain wick, wax, and FO, you're on your way.

That's why it's so important to keep good notes.

It's not that you shouldn't, because it depends on a lot of factors, like size of jar, type of wax, etc., Most of the time though, no, reaching FMP on the first burn could indicate overwicking. I normally don't get FMP until my 3rd or 4th burn, but that is for the type of jar/wax I use. 

You are well on your way to becoming a good candle-maker and are asking the right questions, and most important, you are taking the constructive comments and using them. That tells me you are serious about learning. And you are testing. Love to see that. 

As OG said, keep good notes on what works and what doesn't and eventually it will happen for you! :)

• Like 3

I have only been making candles for a few months and have easily been through 100 pounds of wax in testing! I have pages and pages of notes and refer to them often, cannot stress enough how important that is. Wick sample packs were invaluable for me, as well, and can save some money as you zero in your candles.  Don't get discouraged, it is a long haul but very gratifying! 

• Like 1

If you are really wanting to double wick that jar, and using ECO wicks I would back down WAY BACK to ECO .5 or ECO-1 for a double wick.  ECO wick series once it gets above ECO 2 or 3 they get crazy big and hot.  Always start small with the ECO wicks and tweak from there.  Personally I think they need to add more in the series like ECO 2.5 and 3.5 because the jump between 3 to 4 and to 5 etc is really big. 

• Like 1